The Story Behind The Eagles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Have you ever been on campus an saw the eagle statues soaring? Do you know where they came from or who created them? Well, here is the history behind our eagle nation pride!

1. Embrace the Heritage

Embrace the Heritage was an eagle created by Stephanie Arends Neal to pay homage to the late and great Coach Erk Russell. This eagle without a doubt represents “Our House.”

2. Farmer’s Market

The Farmer’s Market eagle was inspired by Bulloch County’s outstanding quality of local produce and agriculture. This eagle was designed and created by Colleen Beyer and Wesley Stewart.

3. Statesboro Nation

Statesboro Nation is the first eagle to be completed through the Eagle Nation in Education program. On the eagle are the stars and stripes of the flag, the Statesboro courthouse and the Averitt center. Kelsey Fallin, with assistance from Janet Suarez, created this is eagle shows how much of a nation Statesboro really is. 

4. Statesboro Blues

Kimberly Riner developed this idea after Blond Willie McTell’s hit Statesboro Blues. The mosaic design celebrates Georgia Southern True Blue spirit.

5. Bulloch County’s Family Tree

Bulloch County’s Family trees serves as a platform for some of Statesboro’s most influential people and places. This piece was designed by Scott Fox.

6. GSU’s Victory Eagle

Designed by Rose Mae Bogan Millikan and created by Kristina B. Hall. This eagle represents both school spirit and patriotism in the Georgia Southern Community.

7. GATA

GATA was designed by Greg Carter to showcase the winning tradition led by Coach Erk Russell. GATA represents the victories won in the SoCon division. Hopefully, we can add Sunbelt victories in the near future.

8. Pursuit of Knowledge

Rebecca Hampton was inspired by the eternity of books when creating this statue. Pursuit of Knowledge celebrates the nature of knowledge and its everlasting impact. 

Ayanna Gant

Georgia Southern

Hi! I am Ayanna and I am the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Georgia Southern. I am a junior Public Relations major with a minor in Marketing. I hope to one day pursue a career in the sports and entertainment field of public relations!