This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Saving money as a college student can be tough. Learning how to properly manage your finances is a process, kind of like maturing. It might seem as if you’re constantly drowning in arising expenses but help is here! Start taking advantage and save! You can do this.

Shop in bulk

It’s a proven fact (proven by me :)) that you spend less money at the grocery store monthly if you just buy in bulk! Buying in bulk is also great for waste because it requires less packaging.

Limit the times you go out

Girl’s night ins are always more fun than going out. Twice a month get your closest friends together and everyone pitch in. Pick a few movies, or funny youtube videos, and enjoy everyone’s (free) company.

Use cash only

You are more likely to spend money if you’re using a debit/credit card. Taking some cash out for the week usually does the trick for me. 

Rainy day fund

Think of this as a physical savings account. Take 30% of your paycheck every week and stuff the cash in a safe. If you can’t be trusted, allow a close friend to come up with a code for you.

Student discounts

Check for local restaurants and local stores that offer student discounts

Sell what you no longer need

Go through that closet of yours! You know you don’t wear EVERYTHING. Go to a store like Plato’s Closet for some cash for your clothes. 

Download the mint app

The mint app helps you organize your expenses while helping you budget. Plus, it’s free! Just go to the app store, download it, enter in some information, and BAM! You’ve got your own personal financial advisor.

Pay your bills early

Avoid any late fees by staying ahead and paying all bills BEFORE they are due.  

Cancel your magazine subscriptions

You can get all the latest drama and gossip on the internet now FOR FREE. Please cancel that Vogue subscription.

Buy generic brands

Contrary to popular belief, generic brands get the job done.

Eat at home aka stop going to Wendy’s

Think about how much money you spend eating out all the time. It’s healthier and smarter to cook more than you eat out.

Keep your auto maintenance on a regular schedule

Regular maintenance can save time and money. The more you neglect your vehicle’s systems and parts the more costly the repairs might be.

Consolidate your student loans

and lastly, 

Take advantage of the fun (and free) opportunities your university offers

Georgia Southern is notorious for always putting on fun events! Bring the whole crew for some free memories.  

There are plenty of ways to save! Hope these tips help get things moving in the right direction for you! 

Current senior at the Georgia Southern University. I love music (mostly 90's), and I love movies (mostly horror). In my spare time, I like to pretend I know how to dance or I'll watch post production videos on youtube :)
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.