Originality is no longer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

I think I am the only one who is fed up with the way the world works these days. It seems like there is no such thing as an original idea or creative idea at that. Now that may be true because as many people are living in this thing called earth, I’m pretty sure someone has come up with the exact same idea as you. That’s understandable, but what’s crazy is that people continue to come up with the same ideas every single time and expect their idea to be better than the last.

Let’s look at Hollywood for instances. How many times are they going to remake a batman or superman movie? They have remade Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast at least once.  The Fast and the Furious has probably 100 sequels after its original movie and do not get me started on how many “Bring it On” movies Now do not get me wrong, some of those movies were amazing, but it just seems like those upcoming movie directors and producers do not want to challenge themselves and become creators of an original masterpiece.

Same thing with music, especially hip hop and rap. Most artists talk about the same thing to stay relevant. They talk about sex, drugs, violence and all that other stupid stuff. Meanwhile, you have someone talking about how to be a better person and positive things and they are not even noticed because they are not popular to mainstream society. Literally, 90% of rap out today has the exact same message, but it’s funny how a lot of them want people to respect their craft. That’s impossible to do when you sound like every other rapper on the radio. There is no originality within that person.

I understand that it’s easy to stray away from originality when you are trying to get your foot into the door of success, but it takes away from your gift of making something new and setting the standard of what success really is. No one wants to be the best copycat. Be an original person, set your own standards of how things are supposed to be done. Everyone is tired of seeing the same thing over and over again. We have become used to the same old same old and we need something that is going to break the mold and create a new original masterpiece. Be that person

Taisha White

Georgia Southern

Taisha White 23 Georgia Southern University Senior Multimedia Journalism Major Just trying to make my dreams come true
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.