This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

To my freshman self,

Hey, it’s me, you. Well, senior year you. You should be happy to know that you’re smarter, wiser, and healthier than ever before. Most importantly, you should be happy to know that you’ve almost made it. You’re about to go through the most life-changing experience, but I know you’re ready. All the craziness that you’re about to go through might seem unbearable at some point, but know that life happens FOR you not TO you. The things I’m going to tell you about the past four years will shock you, but hey, what did you possibly expect from us?

First thing’s first, stop complaining about how small your dorm room is because in the next few years you’ll be living in a townhouse with way too much room. It’s going to take you a minute to get used to having your own home and CLEANING your own home and it’s not going to be as fun as you think, so just relax. Rent, groceries, maintenance, and the occasional roommate/friend drama? Yea, get ready. By the way, learn more about fire safety, please. Secondly, stop holding on to all your “friends” from high school. Seriously, it’s not worth the strain, no friendships are worth straining. If it belongs in your life it will be a blessing, not a hassle. Speaking of friends….. not to spoil the story or anything, but you won’t stay friends with everyone you meet your freshman year. Yep, get over it now because some people suck and it’s going to hurt when you gotta find that out. Lastly, (most shocking) college is not easy! You’re probably getting ready to go out to the bars with your hall mates right now because you have nothing due for the rest of the week. I promise you that this will all change in a blink of an eye. Think of your freshman year as high school 2.0, you’re only taking the basics right now. Just wait until English 1102 turns in physics II and international studies turns into rhetorical criticism. I bet you don’t even know what rhetorical criticism is right now but it’s definitely okay self because you end up getting a solid B. It’s not all bad though, you end up actually learning the things you want and need to learn and you end up creating real relationships with your professors (not all are evil). All in all, you’re obviously ok. You’re actually excited to get up in the morning to go to the gym, excited to go home and see your parents, excited to be working, and you’re excited about the future. I love you and your resilience continues to amaze me, but I wish there were somethings that I was more aware of. So here’s some advice from me to you (seriously go write this down).

Take care of your mental health

You don’t realize how difficult taking care of yourself is until you realize all that it requires. Taking care of yourself is much more than getting sleep, eating right, and making sure you have all the necessities. Taking care of yourself also means learning how to manage stress, knowing how to remove yourself from toxic situations, and knowing how to take care of your mental health. Yes grades are important and being active is important, but feeling good on the inside is so much more important. Don’t ignore troubled feelings; find out the best way to quiet the world around you, slow it down, and then listen to yourself.

Not every party needs you there

This is pretty straightforward, CHILL OUT. Yes, college parties are fun and all but you’re a freshman with enough memories to last you the rest of your college career. I’m not saying don’t ever go out because we both know I’d just be wasting my time here, but I’m telling you to pick and choose your outings because you most of them aren’t even worth your cutest outfits.

Utilize your resources

There are so many resources that GSU provides to you for you. Use every bit of it up because you’re paying for it all.

Let that mango  

Self, guys come and go but you should already know that, so stop ignoring the signs and let him go. Fast-forward four years and he’s still annoying.

Remember your endgame

It’s easy to get lost in the fast-paced college student lifestyle, but it’s important to remember that you came to GSU for a purpose and to hang on to that. These transformative years will be fun, but don’t forget that you’re there to accomplish something. To finish. 

You are so worthy of all the accomplishments that are coming your way. Enjoy each mistake you’re going to make within these next eight semesters. Most importantly, trust yourself because the journey’s worth it.

Sincerely,

Someone who’s extremely proud of you

Current senior at the Georgia Southern University. I love music (mostly 90's), and I love movies (mostly horror). In my spare time, I like to pretend I know how to dance or I'll watch post production videos on youtube :)
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.