Is it not what you expected?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Many times people come to college and they have it in their heads exactly what it will be. They think that all the parties are going to be wild, project X type parties. They think regardless of how late you stay out your grades will not be affected because you are “good at school.” They also think that since they never had to study in high school that they won’t have to in college either. They think that they will be involved in all sorts of organizations staying oh so busy. They think that the first people they meet their freshmen year will be their all time best friends.

Now i’m not saying any of this isn’t true, for some, because i’m sure that someone has achieved that. But I know for most you are sitting there about to finish your first semester of college or for some even your third and you are wondering when the fun actually starts.

Well i’m here to tell you that it starts with you. People think these wild parties are always going on and that’s not true. Parties and going out is what YOU make it. It can be a boring night for some but others may have a blast. This goes along with your “lifelong” friends you think you make. Yes, you do make those, but dont be set on the first ones you meet at orientation. The campus is so much bigger than that, so give yourself the chance to meet others! Talk to people in your classes, in the dining hall, in between classes. Mix and mingling around campus is how you meet your lifelong friends.

Grades. Good grades will not just fall in your lap. You have to work at them and study for them. Some classes will be easier than others and some you may have to redo but that’s okay.You may find out rather quickly that college is not like highschool. College is a huge adjustment, so it is important to make adjustments to your life when things aren’t working out the way you want them to. So at the start of the new upcoming semester set aside times in your day where you dedicate yourself to studying or homework, figure out if you do well with studying in groups or alone. GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM. Many times you don’t realize the distractions presented to you when you study in your room; you get caught up with tv, texting, sleep. Instead, go sit at a table, go to the library. Some focus a lot better and you will be surprised by how much you get done.

Lastly but not least, GET INVOLVED. I know everyone tells you this when you come to college but actually do it. People are way nicer than you think and there are PLENTY of organizations to join. Check out the union any day of the week and there will be SOME organization tabling. Talk to them about what they are all about and figure out if its something you would like to be apart of. Normally at the beginning of each semester many Organizations open applications or just take in new members so never be afraid to get out there and join!

College can and is very fun, but it’s if you make it that way. You have to get up and go after what you want! So join an organization, do a pageant, change your study habits, and make new friends!

“This is about trying new things, getting out of the ruts.” -Unknown

-E

Elena Yeargan

Georgia Southern '18

E. GATA. Senior Education Major. President of the Georgia Southern Chapter "Lead with integrity."-Unknown
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.