The Grass Isn’t Always Greener…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

“The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.”

We’ve all heard some variation of this phrase since we were little. The meaning behind it is: don’t be jealous of what others have. 

But it’s hard. Not the part about not being jealous, but as a female, trying not to compare yourself to other females is difficult. We always see women with our “dream bodies” and “dream lives” and envy them because we think their lives are perfect. We believe that they have it all together all the time and wonder why that can’t be us. A lot of us even believe that there’s something that makes these women better than us.

That’s not the case at all. Those women weren’t born “perfect”, they had to work for their bodies (those who did work for them) and they have to work hard on a regular basis to make their lives appear worthy of envy and make it look easy.

The key phrase here: work for it. You want that body? Go to the gym. Eat better. Drink water. You want money? Get a job. Save, spend on needs only. Be patient. Don’t envy others. If anything, use their success as motivation. If someone is excelling in an area that you wish to do better in, look into what they did and form ideas that will work for you.

You can’t compare your life or your journey to anyone else’s. Your life isn’t going to go the exact same way as anyone else’s. Your focus has to be on what you can do to get to where you want to be, not what someone else did to get to where they’re at.

Nobody’s life is perfect. We all have problems, some just hide them better than others. There’s no point in wishing that you were anyone else but you.  You never know what anyone had to go through before getting where they’re at. Be willing to be patient and work on you. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, it’s greener where you water it.

Stay beautiful. Be educated. Dress Well. Get Money. Haute Sauce© Georgia Southern. Style & Lifestyle Blog: MyHauteSauce.com
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.