This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

A lot of people believe that these 2 are one in the same, and although they both surround the idea of equal rights between men & women, there are differences between the two beliefs. 

So what’s the difference? 

A simple way tthat people distinguish between the two: feminism=White women & womanism=Black women. This is a popular belief because during the Feminist Movement, women were mainly fighting for the rights of White women, not ALL women. Womanism is more modern, and it takes into consideration racial minorities. In a way, Womanism is Feminism revamped.

I personally identify as a Womanist because I feel that minority women still have not reached the equality that other women have today. However, I will never say that I am a Womanist and not a Feminist. Of course the different aims of these beliefs cause some separation among women, but we’re all fighting for the same thing and the goal is supposed to be to unify women, not find more ways to separate us. 

Stay beautiful. Be educated. Dress Well. Get Money. Haute Sauce© Georgia Southern. Style & Lifestyle Blog: MyHauteSauce.com
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.