6 Struggles That Girls Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Go Through

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

You have to fight against getting blow outs

When the natural hairstyles don’t work and you don’t have too much faith in protective styling other than braids, you get to wit’s end.

To cut the relaxed hair or to not cut it

Your peers are going to try to influence you to cut your permed hair, and let the natural hair grow out & you’ll probably be influenced to do so when it comes time to detangle your hair after a wash, (THE STRUGGLE!) but the key is to stay strong. Don’t cut off your permed hair until you’re ready to.

Trying out Natural Hairstyles

Some days, the YouTube tutorials on how to do natural, heatless hairstyles will be on your side, on some days it won’t!

Protective Hairstyling

Whenever you don’t want to have to sleep & breathe your hair, you turn to braids & weaves, but the gag is, there are only a number of styles that are friendly to time and your edges, so once again, you’re struggling.

Wanting To Get Inchesssss but..

Prices aren’t reasonable

You don’t want your hair to look like a hat

You don’t trust anyone with lace closures OR frontals

Finding hair products that works for you

Once you began to transition, you quickly realize that all of the hair products that you used while relaxed need to get lost—they are no longer of your service. Now, you have to experiment with many different brands & products to find out what works for you.

Hail Southern and No Place Else IG: stb_ A girl should be two things: who and what she wants - Coco Chanel❣
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.