3 Things I’ve Learned By Being the Quiet Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Since I could remember, I was very talkative. I talked to everyone— I like to make people feel accepted and welcome to me. After multiple timeouts and multiple consequences, (hint hint: no recess lol) I became a little quieter as I went through grade school. Well now, this have fallen over into college.  Being the quiet girl, I’ve become more observant and more open minded in my perceptions of people.

I’ve Learned That Being Observant is Very Beneficial

You become more open minded to other people’s perspectives because if you’re the only one that’s talking, how are you going to hear everyone else?  

“If you’re too big to follow rivers, how you ever gonna find the sea?”—River by Emeli Sande

You Try to See the Good in All People

You learn that people come from all walks of lives. No, everyone is not like you and they shouldn’t have to be. People in general have been through so many things in life that I couldn’t fathom, and I am not the one to judge. I’ll accept you with open arms with all the advice and wisdom I can give you.

“Greatest Love of All”-Whitney Houston

It’s Okay to Open Up to People

With being observant, you get to watch facial expressions. I like to look into someone’s eyes to see what they see, see what they’ve been through, how they are responding to our interaction. Are they agitated? Should I walk away? Are they bored with my presence? Do they need someone to talk to? Am I that someone?

“The eyes are the window to the soul.”

I believe that everyone needs someone. We weren’t put on this Earth to live in solitude with society, no matter how many times you see, “I was born by myself and I’m going to die by myself.” The apprehension that the quiet girl feels before interacting with others is very helpful to how she approaches new environments and new people. 

Hail Southern and No Place Else IG: stb_ A girl should be two things: who and what she wants - Coco Chanel❣
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.