What Not to Wear (…but please actually do) This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, which means the frantic search for the perfectly unique yet trendy costume is about to begin. If you aren’t the kind of person that has had their costume picked out since September first of last year, then you’re probably scanning the web and stalking facebook pictures of your thousand closest friends to get ideas.

Halloween on college campuses is a night filled with cats prancing down the street in tight black dresses and police officers in short-shorts that definitely won’t be making any arrests. It seems that most of us college girls play it safe when picking our Halloween costumes, creating “grown up” versions of the same things we wore trick-or-treating as kids–in the same size of course.  This year, dare to be different and mix it up! For inspiration, check out these costumes, so bad that they might just do the trick. If nothing else, you’ll definitely have the most talked about costume of the night.

With the recent shutdown of Tuscany, the pizza hotspot, all of us here at Georgetown are feeling a little down. Amp up the cheese factor and bring back some good memories with this nostalgic costume.

Miley Cyrus has been making waves recently with a storm of new music and controversy. Try this outfit, which she wore during her infamous performance at the VMAs. Channel your inner Miley this Halloween and have a great time twerking the night away.  Also, the uses for a spandex jumpsuit with a bear on it after Halloween is over are endless.

[pagebreak]

Sexy unicorn costume? Who wouldn’t like it! From the metallic gold horn to the colorful “mane,” people won’t be able to take their eyes off of you as you majestically trot down the streets on Halloween night. And with those boots (or should I say hooves,) you won’t have to be worried about getting cold as the night goes on!

Last but not least, show up all the cats in their little black dresses and show off your school spirit by dressing up as Jack the Bulldog! You’re sure to meet a lot of new people who all want to take pictures with you to post on Instagram, with a nice Sutro filter sure to play up the grays in your costume.  Who knows, maybe you’ll become insta-famous!

These costumes may be a little out there, but as you’re picking out your outfit remember that the unique costumes are the ones that people remember the next day! Ditch the dull, generic costume ideas and go for something more original and creative this year. And, if you do end up being bold enough to dress as Miley or a sexy unicorn, be sure to take lots of pictures so everyone can enjoy your fabulous costume.