Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Turning Your Dream Business Into Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Starting your own business is tough, but it isn’t impossible. There are plenty of Georgetown grads who have been in your shoes! If you have ever considered being an entrepreneur, read on for some inspiration:

Lulu’s Ice Cream

The founder of Lulu’s is Luisa Santos, a recent Georgetown grad who started her own ice cream shop in Miami using a revolutionary ingredient – liquid nitrogen. While at Georgetown, she took advantage of all her available resources and participated in many of the opportunities offered here. These include the Startup Hoya Challenge Rocket Pitch, Georgetown Entrepreneurship Day, and the Georgetown Farmer’s Market. Luisa’s experiences encouraged her to pursue her dream after she graduated, and she was able to learn from each one. She opened up the first Lulu’s in Miami in 2015. If you’re interested in starting your own business one day, you should definitely keep an eye out for all the support that Georgetown offers, including StartupHoyas and the Entrepreneurship Fellows Program

Misfit Juicery

Founded in 2014, this company takes sustainability to the next level. Each year, billions of fresh produce go to waste because they don’t fit the standard appearance to make certain products. Misfit Juicery saves these pounds of fruit and vegetables by making cold-pressed juices. Through their unique mission and values, Misfit Juicery finds success in D.C. Co-founders Ann Yang and Phil Wong are also recent Georgetown grads who took their innovative ideas and made them into reality upon graduation. One resource they used at Georgetown was the SIPS fund, which helped to finance their efforts while they were on campus. 

Maracas Ice Pops

Former attorney and alum of the SFS, Julia Padierna-Peralta, launched this venture of selling authentic Mexican ice pops on a custom-made tricycle throughout D.C, particularly in the Georgetown area. Maracas offers a plethora of unique flavors using the freshest ingredients. Julia chose to pursue her dreams after a successful career as an international trade attorney – it’s never too late to launch your venture! Currently, she is working with a student consulting group on campus, Innovo Consulting.

If you’re further along the road with your business and you’re looking for more long-term funding, there are plenty of options for startup loans and funding options for small businesses as well. Wherever your passions lie, be sure to pursue them while at Georgetown and beyond! 

Nina Cheng

Georgetown