Summer Guide to DC – May/June

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Whether this is your first summer in DC or your last, you need to make the most of it. So I have compiled a list of the best events, and things you have to do, so you can draw up your summer bucket list. Are you ready?

First off, while we love that you love our site, here are some other sites you have to follow to maximize your summer.

·      Brightest Young Things

(Full Disclosure: I used to intern for this company)

Brightest Young Things is the go to site to find out about everything that is happening in DC. But it’s not only a source. BYT also throws some of the best parties around. You just missed their after hours event at the National Archives, but keep on the look out for other events this summer.

·      DCist

DCist is not only a source of news. They also compile helpful guides for what is happening in the city. Stay up to date on the latest events, news, and happenings in the city.

·      Eater DC

Food is everything and Eater DC covers everything related to the food scene in DC.

To start you off, we are going to preview the best events happening in May and June. Some of these events reoccur throughout the summer so make sure to bookmark this article to plan your whole summer.

Things to Do

Go to a Concert or Comedy Show

Summer is the perfect time to hang out with your friends and listen to live music. Catch free music at the weekly Jazz in the Garden series at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden, or check out some of these concerts happening soon:

·      Sweetlife – May 30th and 31st

Our favorite food and music festival has grown up, and expanded to two days. Catch headlines Kendrick Lamar and Calvin Harris, along with awesome acts such as Misterwives, Vance Joy, Mariana and the Diamonds, and The Weeknd. Also, make sure you stop by all the food events. With José Andres, Erik Bruner-Yang, and Momofuku making appearances at the Chef’s Corner we may be more excited about the food than the music. Just make sure to bring a poncho like the ones we got from Boohoo to keep you dry. Also, make sure to stick some Blink temporary tattoos on to get festival ready.

·      9:30 Club/U Street Music Hall/Black Cat/ Lincoln Theatre/ DC9/ Echostage/ and more

Take advantage of the summer to check out all of DC’s great music venues. Here are our picks for May and June:

·      James Bay – 9:30 Club, 5/1

·      Of Monsters and Men – Echostage, 5/5

·      Passion Pit – 9:30 Club, 5/5 and 5/6

·      The Maine – 9:30 Club, 5/10

·      Penguin Prison – U Street Music Hall, 5/14

·      TV on the Radio – Echostage, 5/19

·      Hot Chip – Echostage, 6/5

·      Tame Impala – Echostage, 6/6

·      Flume – Echostage, 6/10

·      Belle and Sebastian – Echostage, 6/11

·      Neko Case – Lincoln Theatre, 6/15

·      Best Coast – 9:30 Club, 6/16

·      T.J. Miller – Lincoln Theatre, 6/20

Visit a Museum

Summer is the perfect time to visit a museum, especially if you don’t mind tourists. Or you can check out some of DC’s lesser-known museums like the Art Museum of the Americas, The Kreeger Museum, and the Koshland Science Museum,  

Watch a Movie

There are great movie theatres like E Street Cinema and Angelika Pop-Up. Also, summer means outdoor movies. Most don’t start until later in the summer but NoMa’s Summer Screen starts on May 27th with Dirty Dancing, The Golden Cinema Series starts on May 22 with Empire Records.

Go Outside

·      Hiking

o   Go hiking while it isn’t deliriously humid outside. Check out this hiking guide (Disclaimer: I wrote this hiking guide) and explore the wilderness.

·      Swimming

o   It gets hot in the summer. So go swimming. Check out this public pool guide to get started. (Disclaimer: I helped write this pool guide) And then look for all the awesome rooftop and hotel pools such as the Capitol Skyline Hotel pool and the Embassy Row rooftop pool.

·      Explore DC

o   Now is your time to explore DC. Check out all the cool neighborhoods that you haven’t been to. Search for all the cool murals and street art (like the Watermelon House in Shaw). Visit all those cool restaurants you’ve been reading about. Wander and get to know the city better.

·      Picnic

o   Grab some free Chipotle and head to the numerous picnic spots in DC. Whether you are grabbing lunch or eating dinner early summer is a perfect time to be outside and people watch. Don’t forget to bring food to that outdoor movie you are attending too.

·      Read Outside

o   While you are picnicking, grab a book. Our picks for the summer are Rich Bitches by Nicole Lapin and the Her Campus Guide to College Life. Reading is a great way to relax and enjoy the weather.

·      Learn Something New

o   Summer is a perfect time to learn something new. There are a ton of free online classes and platforms such as Lynda. If you want to learn how to code you can check out Codecademy. If you want workout tips, go to Crunch Live. Also, Chloe + Isabel is offering a program that teaches you skills in sales, marketing, merchandising, and social media.

Eat

·      Truckeroo – 5/10, 6/12

If you love Food Trucks you will love Truckeroo. One day a month from April to September over 20 food trucks gather by Nats Park. There are picnic games and live music too.

·      Safeway Barbecue Battle – 6/27-6/28

If you love barbecue this event is a must. It attracts the top barbecue restaurants in DC and around the country, who compete to win over $40,000 in cash prizes. There are also 30 live music acts, free food, and interactive displays, and demonstrations.

Sarah Guan

Georgetown