Style > Beauty

Spring Beauty Trends: How to Affordably Achieve Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Sometimes when I’m reading magazines or fashion blogs I see beauty looks and products that are “perfect” for spring. They always look amazing, but they aren’t “perfect” for my wallet. Sometimes the drugstore beauty aisle is underestimated, but there are definitely some gems. Here are a few beauty looks that can easily be achieved by stopping by the CVS on Wisconsin (which happens to have an amazing cosmetics selection!)

Ombre Nails

Image courtesy of thebeautydepartment.com

Supplies needed:
3 or 4 similarly colored nail polishes (like the picture) (Orly, Essie, etc.)
beauty sponge
q-tips
nail polish remover
top coat (Sally Hansen)

1.      Begin by taking a beauty sponge and painting a line of polish across the bottom of the sponge.
2.      Continue painting lines up the sponge going from either dark to light or light to dark until all colors are on the sponge.
3.      Wait until the polish dries and finish off with topcoat!
http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/04/pretty-polish-idea/

[pagebreak]
Lilac Eyes

I absolutely love this trend and think lilac is such a gorgeous color. Find a lilac colored eyeliner or eyeshadow in the beauty aisle and you’ll be good to go!

Image courtesy of kaboodle.com

A more intense, but still gorgeous version as seen on Rachel McAdams!

Products needed:
Lilac eye color (either liner or shadow)
Black kohl liner (Rimmel carries an amazing one for $4!)
Mascara (Rimmel Scandaleyes or Maybelline the Falsies)

1.      Line your upper and lower lashline with the lilac eye color, extending into the inner corner.
2.      For daytime you can skip the black liner, but take this look into night, add black kohl liner on your waterline and smudge some on the outer third of your lower lashline.
3.      Finish off with a good amount of black mascara, making sure to focus on the outer parts of your lashes to emphasize that flutter effect.
4.      Keep the rest of your face simple, with a nude or light peach lip!

[pagebreak]
Dewy Skin

Image courtesy of themaquillageblog.tumblr.com

Everyone wants to have glowing, fresh skin, but sometimes that look is hard to achieve. You don’t need a lot to try it out, and once you master the technique you won’t stop using it!

Products needed:
Tinted moisturizer (Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer)
Highlighter (L’Oreal)
Champagne eyeshadow (really easy to find!)

1.      Begin by applying a dime sized amount of the moisturizer to the back of your hand.
2.      Rub into your face with fingers or a beauty sponge and blend well! Tinted moisturizer is great because it doesn’t dry out your skin, is light enough for the hot weather, and provides just the right amount of coverage.
3.      Apply three small dots of highlighter on each cheekbone, a small dot on the bridge of your nose, and a tiny bit on your cupid’s bow. Blend well with your ring finger and you’re done!
4.      Finish off with a tiny bit of champagne shadow on the inner corners of your eyes.
5.      Feel free to add some mascara and lip balm, but you really want the emphasis to be on your skin!

[pagebreak]

Coral Lips

Image courtesy of painted-ladies.com

If you’re adventurous, or a bit more subdued in your beauty practices this look can still work for you. It all depends on how the color is applied and what it’s paired with!

Products needed:
Lip balm (Maybelline Baby Lips)
Coral lipstick (Covergirl Fairytale)

1.      Begin by applying lip balm to moisturize/prep them for color.
2.      Wait about five to ten minutes for the balm to absorb slightly.
3.      If you want a light flush of color apply the color to the center of lips and use your ring finger to blend out. This will make the color appear to be a stain.
4.      For a more opaque look apply straight out of the tube to your lips.
5.      Two eye looks I tend to do when I wear coral lips are:
–          winged black liner and mascara
–          champagne shadow over the lids with black shadow smudged on the outer thirds of the upper and lower lashlines with mascara

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.