How To Survive Valentine’s Day Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Whether you’re significant other is miles away, you just got out of a relationship, or you’re just plain single Valentine’s Day can be a little depressing. However, Valentine’s Day is the day set aside to celebrate the ones you love and to spend time with them and show them how much you appreciate them. Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you don’t have a reason to enjoy Valentine’s Day. This day isn’t all about being in a happy relationship and/or going out on a magical date. It’s about being with loved ones. So to get through the annual Valentine’s Day blues that I know many of you are probably going through I’ve created a list of Do’s and Don’ts to get you through the holiday.

1. DON’T start off the day by saying, “Happy Single’s Awareness Day!” If you start off the day on a negative note it’s going to end the same way.
  2. DO make the day about other people rather than about yourself. Make cards or small gifts for your close friends to show that you care and you’re glad to have them around.
  3. DO make plans with a group of friends to do something fun like see a new movie (The Vow, Chronicle, The Woman in Black, This Means War, etc.) or go out to dinner to your favorite restaurant. Make it a tradition with your friends every Valentine’s Day so it will become your most favorite day of the year rather than your most hated one.
  4. DON’T sulk by yourself in your room watching chick flicks with a big carton of ice cream wishing you could have that “special someone” with you. If you’re going to watch a chick flick watch it with friends and eat healthy snacks so you won’t regret it the next day and feel even worse about yourself.
  5. DO dress to impress. If you wear clothes that make you feel good it will inevitably make you feel good. Just because you don’t have a date for the night doesn’t mean you still can’t look good. Make people take notice and maybe next year you won’t be riding solo.
  6. DON’T rain on your friend’s parades. If they’re happy because they’re in a terrific relationship or have a hot date planned for the night don’t make them feel bad because you don’t. Be happy for them because if the roles were reversed you would want them to do the same for you.

Lastly, if you do want to have a date for Valentine’s Day and there’s someone you have in mind don’t be afraid to ask him/her. It doesn’t even have to be a date necessarily. Get some of your friends together and throw a party to celebrate the day and invite him/her. The worst that could happen is they say no but you’ll never know unless you ask. Besides it is the day of love after all. Good luck! And Happy Valentine’s Day!

Sources: 
http://attractions.uptake.com/blog/files/2009/01/98171915_b07b308a32.jpg

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!