jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Celebrate Autumn at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The spooky season is upon us! Even though it is somehow still 4 thousand degrees in D. C., it is officially October and a celebration of Autumn is in order. But it can be hard to get into the fall mood in a tiny cell dorm room. Here are some ways, some little and some large, that you can get into the spirit.

1. Crafts. There’s nothing quite like putting together even a basic crafting project. My most recent Halloween project this year was quick and easy: all you need is some black construction paper, some scissors, and a template (depending on how well you draw) to make some quality bat or spider silhouettes for your walls or windows. You can print out a template online here. Here’s how mine turned out:

2. Make a Halloween playlist, especially if it’s been a while since you’ve listened to “Thriller” or “Monster Mash”. If you need some ideas, here’s a place you can get your start on that spooky soundtrack.​

3. If you’re the kind of person who likes pumpkin spice, try moving beyond the PSL this season: a trip to Safeway or CVS will bring (and these are all real) revelations of pumpkin spice M&Ms, breakfast rolls, tea, and even pumpkin pie oreos.

4. Tea is also a wonderful way to celebrate the season, especially with apple and pumpkin themed teas abounding. You can even get a fall-themed mug if you’re really feeling fancy (you can get one for just a few dollars from the TJ Maxx on M street).

5. Pick out some scary movies to watch with friends. Friday the 13th is coming up this week—if you have Netflix, the “Halloween Favorites” tab is finally back, and you can watch The Babadook and Children of the Corn whenever you want. Otherwise, stay tuned for an investigation of the DVDs at Lau.

6. Speaking of Friday the 13th, the series based on the Lore podcast is coming out this Friday. If you have Amazon Prime, give it a try. You can check out the trailer here.

Happy Autumn!