GU Abroad: The Do’s and Don’ts of Packing for Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

While many Hoyas have already embarked upon their adventures abroad, many Hoya collegiettes™ still haven’t taken off. So whether you are leaving in a week or sticking around until the spring semester, check out these packing tips to help make the transition to life abroad a little bit easier. These are the Do’s and Don’ts of packing for a semester abroad!  

DO: Bring Outlet Convertors and Adaptors
The first one is pretty much a given. Despite the fact that you will be busy enjoying your new surroundings and exploring another culture, the time will come when your ipod, cell phone, camera, computer, and all other gadgets will need charging. Outlet convertors are a must. I recommend bringing more than one. That way you can fix multiple problems at once, rather than waiting around for one thing to charge at a time.

Also, figure out the voltage on your important electronics. Some computers or other devices will require an adaptor as well as a convertor to protect your electronics. You can find small convertors and adaptors intended for people traveling to foreign countries. They won’t take up too much room in your suitcase, and they will be very necessary.

[pagebreak] 

DO: Bring Comfortable Walking Shoes
As cute as you think your new high heels will look in Florence or Paris, don’t forget that a lot of your time abroad will be spent sightseeing. For long walking tours of towns, museums, churches, etc you will want to have comfortable walking shoes.

If the thought of seeing Rome in your running sneakers makes you cringe, spend some time before you leave looking for cute sandals that will be comfortable for long days of walking. Your feet will thank you later.

DO: Leave Room for New Purchases

Don’t forget that while you need enough clothing, etc to get you through the semester, there will be plenty of new things you will want to be bring back with you. Don’t forget to leave some space for souvenirs from your trip, gifts for friends and family, and perhaps a cute new outfit or two.

You don’t want to find yourself on the last day of your trip, struggling to stuff everything you accumulated during your trip into a bag that was already full on the way over.

[pagebreak] 

DO: Travel with Some Local Currency

You never know what kind of travel setbacks you may encounter. That’s why it is always smart to bring enough local currency with you that you are prepared in case of an emergency.

Usually your local bank will be able to order currency for you, or you can go to a currency exchange. Also, if you plan ahead, you will get a better exchange rate then if you wait to exchange currency in the airport.

DO: Pack At Least One Nice Outfit
You want to be prepared for anything during your time abroad, and that means being prepared for possibly having to dress up. Most programs will provide some occasion where you want to look semi-nice. Be it a final dinner, or a party. Be sure to bring at least one nice outfit. 

[pagebreak]

DON’T: Bring Your Hairdryer
Don’t bother to bring your hairdryer abroad. It takes up unnecessary space in your suitcase, and it most likely will not work with the voltage of country you are in. You don’t want to make space in your suitcase just to find your hairdryer starts smoking the first time you try to use it.

When you arrive, go to a local pharmacy and pick up a cheap hairdryer to use during your trip. It will save you space, and avoid the unnecessary headache.

DON’T: Forget to Keep a Change of Clothes in your Carry-On

Bags get lost in transit. It’s a simple fact. Be sure to keep a change of clothes in your carry on so that if your suitcase is lost you have something to wear the first few days.

[pagebreak] 

DON’T: Forget to bring Rain Gear
Inclement weather exists abroad, despite how much you may want to believe it doesn’t. Chances are it will rain at least once while you are away. Be prepared for it.

DON’T: Forget your Passport or Plane Ticket

This last tip pretty much goes without saying. Don’t get to the airport just in time to realize your passport or plane ticket are in your top desk drawer.  

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!