Fall Retail Therapy Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It’s always hard to go back to school at the end of the summer.  It’s fun to see your friends again and get back to campus, but it can be difficult to readjust to the college routine. Luckily, retail therapy is the perfect way to cope with your start of semester stress.  Here are a few great options for your fall shopping sprees.

Jean Jackets

Denim is back this season in a big way.  Celebrities from Kim Kardashian to Beyonce have been rocking this look recently, even going for the bold denim-on-denim combination.  In the fashion world, jean jackets revolve around great tailoring.  Either way, a denim jacket is a great piece for a variety of outfits and perfect for fall temperatures.

Boots

Personally, boots are my favorite thing to wear in the fall.  Whether it’s over-the-knee boots for skipping through leaves or heeled booties to transition from day to night, boots are an indispensable part of any fall wardrobe.  Boots can also make great statement pieces with fringe, patterns, or embellishments.

Nails

Whether you’re getting a manicure or doing your nails yourself, nail art is a fun and easy way to showcase your style.  Fall is a great time for asymmetrical patterns, simple fades, or whimsical designs.  You also can’t go wrong with seasonal colors—dark purple, matte gray, and burgundy are always good choices.

Bags

Going back to school means carrying books around again, and nothing improves your walk to class like a cute, sensible bag.  Vintage inspired bags work perfectly in the fall, and a mod purse in beige or brown goes with almost everything.  A leather tote with room for your laptop, sweater, and anything else you need is both functional and fun.

Blanket Coats

This sounds like a lazy college student’s dream come true, but blanket coats are totally real and just as amazing as they seem.  They’re somewhere between a long coat and a cape, and they’re available anywhere from Stella McCartney’s new designs to your local department store.  Chilly treks through the city become infinitely easier when you combine high fashion with high comfort in a blanket coat.

Baked Goods

Baking (or buying something someone else has baked) is always a good idea.  Obviously pumpkin is a popular flavor this time of the year.  Apples are excellent for baking as well (especially if you pick them yourself).  Overall, I think the perfect baked good for spoiling yourself in the fall is cider donuts.

Enjoy your retail therapy!

Maddi Kaigh

Georgetown

Lacey Henry

Georgetown