Everyday College Makeup Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Your makeup bag has the potential to be great as long as what you have in it is the stuff that matters. The necessities plus a few extra items have what it takes to carry you from day to night, from classes to concerts, and so on. Makeup is at its best when you can use it for multiple occasions and have it work. So unless you’re confident enough to rock that neon eyeshadow all the time, it may have to go!

Mascara

Easy enough, mascara is a must! When I’m running out the door and I can only choose one product to apply, this is it. Mascara opens your eyes up and makes you look put together. Next time you’re doing your eye makeup and aren’t loving how it’s looking wait until you apply mascara before you decide to take it off, because it will make a huge difference!

Bronzer/Blush

Bronzer and blush are a definite necessary to brighten up your face and give yourself that tiny bit of color that you need. Either wear blush on your cheekbones to give yourself that barely there flush or use bronzer to add some natural glow to your face. Combine the two for nighttime or events that consist of wearing a bit more makeup!

Tinted Moisturizer

Tinted moisturizer is my go-to face product because it nourishes your skin while adding coverage to imperfections. Foundation can sometimes be a bit too heavy and powder a bit too dry, and that’s where tinted moisturizer comes in. During the day it’s perfect to wear alone and be done with it, but when you want to get a little more glammed up add some bronzer and highlighter and your face makeup is done.

Highlighter

Highlighter is a beauty item that not as many people know about or use, but it’s one of my favorite products ever. If your skin’s looking a little dull and needs a pick me up, that’s where highlighter comes in. Typically it comes in liquid form, but you can also get cream or powder based depending on where you’re buying it. Apply it to your cheekbones for a healthy glow!

Lip Balm/Gloss

Lip balm is perfect for when you’re heading off to class and need a disguise for chapped lips or to make yourself look more put together. Lip gloss is best for a more polished touch and it comes in a variety of finishes and colors. Gloss is great for completing a look, depending on what you’re wearing. Smoky eyes look great with a nude or pink lip and natural eyes look great with a darker lip if you want to rock it!

Eyeliner

There are two eyeliners you need for your makeup bag: a neutral and a fun color. The neutral, which could be brown, black or gray or anything of the sort, can be worn for everyday occasions along with being able to be turned into a smoky eye. A fun color should be something that matches your eye color, which is easy to find on the color chart. For example people who have brown eyes would look best with a purple toned eyeliner and blue eyes look great with a gold or bronze toned eyeliner.

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.