Books Worth A B: Novels To Read When You Should Be Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

A sad reality of modern college life, at least at Georgetown, is the aversion students have to pursuing academic interests unless that pursuit will lead to an increase in GPA. Almost all of my peers bemoan how their heavy course loads have gobbled up all of their free time, leaving them no chance to read for leisure. However, I maintain that it is possible to prioritize and make some time for reading if you put in just a little effort and realize maybe you’re not as busy as you constantly tell everyone you are. I’m in two art classes right now, so it is admittedly easier for me to do this than if I had five reading heavy classes. But, I don’t have five reading heavy classes, so with my newfound free time and almost nonexistent reading load, have decided to pursue enlightenment through learning on my own. Here are my three favorite books from this semester, all of which are worthwhile reads, even if it means you might have to slack on your IR note taking.

1.     The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood

All women should be required to read this feminist dystopian masterpiece. Atwood creates a society where female independence and agency, specifically physical agency, is non-existent. Women are categorized based on fertility and forced to carry the children of other women’s husbands; the simultaneous absurdity and potential of such as society is jarring. It’s often cited as being the pro-choice novel, since abortions are illegal and many of the reforms are justified by the Bible, but its premise is a much more nuanced social commentary on the intersections of religion, politics, and feminism than I thought it would be.

2.     Not That Kind of Girl, Lena Dunham

So good I read it in one day when I was supposed to be studying for my psych midterm. Dunham’s uninhibited honesty is both brave and refreshing, and very, very relatable- she spends much of the book recounting her college years with vivid honesty, mistakes and regrets and triumphs all included. Her stories of growing up made me reflect on my own childhood and how my adolescent experiences shaped, and continue to shape, my adulthood. Overall, her adventures were interesting, and her style was, as usual, witty and non-judgmental. However, the overall vibe was not as hilarious or sarcastic as I expected. Although her stories have comic undertones, she tends to be more descriptive and introspective than anything else, much like on her show.

3.     Looking for Alaska, John Green

Looking for Alaska follows the emotional journey of Pudge, a junior new to boarding school, as he tries to answer questions about death and love and eternity. It was surprisingly underwhelming- sleepy, almost- less emotional than The Fault in Our Stars, and more of a character study than a plot-driven novel. That said, it is short, sweet, and peppered with John Green’s signature metaphors and unanswerable existential questions.