The Best Christmas Songs of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It’s time (…or it’s almost time!)  Christmas is now less than a month away and, in anticipation of the arrival of my favorite holiday, I’ve been contemplating as to which Washington winter activities I want to tackle before it’s time to leave.  Among them are ice skating at Washington Harbour, a chilly walk among the monuments, and throwing a holiday party – stocked with Christmas lights, mulled wine, hot chocolate, and the best Christmas music.  Below is a list of what I believe to be the most joyous Christmas music….ever.  What are your favorite holiday songs?

1. “Lush Life,” John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman

2. “Please Come Home for Christmas,” The Eagles

3. “(There’s No Place Like) Home for the Holidays,” The Carpenters (I just can’t get enough of that video…)

4. “Last Christmas,” Wham (Of course)

5. “Maybe This Christmas,” Ron Sexsmith

6. “(There’ll Be) Peace in the Valley [For Me],” Elvis Presley (…and his entire Christmas album entitled “Elvis Christmas”.)

7. “Merry Christmas, Baby,” The Beach Boys (and the rest of their Christmas album, “Christmas with the Beach Boys,” too.)

8. “Rocking Around the Christmas Tree,” Brenda Lee

9. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” Andy Williams

10.  “A New York Christmas,” Rob Thomas (I realize that this one may reveal my New York bias…)

11.  “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” Frank Sinatra – or Judy Garland’s version

12.  “Soulful Christmas,” James Brown

13.  “Everything,” Michael Bublé

14.  “A Holly Jolly Christmas,” Burl Ives

15.  “Do You Hear What I Hear,” Whitney Houston

Happy Holidays!!

Fiona Smith

Georgetown

Studies English and Theatre & Performance Studies at Georgetown University (2014).