15 Songs You May Have Forgotten About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Remember riding in the backseat of the car, begging your mom to turn up the radio volume so that you could belt, “Why’d you have to go and make things so complicated?” just a little bit louder? Throughout our middle school (and even high school) years, great songs have been released, adding to the amazingness that was the ‘90s/’00s. But, now that we are all in college, we may have forgotten some of these classic gems. So, without further ado, here is a reminder of some classic songs that you may have forgotten about:

S Club Party”-S Club 7

If you did not jam out to this childhood anthem, then something was seriously wrong with your TV selections. S Club 7 was arguably one of the most popular television shows for us as youngings and this theme song exceeded our expectations. Sure, the show was really just a bunch of Australians singing corny tunes but let’s be real…ain’t no party like an S club party!

Lucky“–Britney Spears

When this song first came out, I watched the music video so many times that I practically have it memorized today. Every girl in grade school continuously belted out this Brittney throwback, adding extra exaggeration to “but she cries cries cries in her lonely heart!”

1985”– Bowling for Soup

During the Smash Mouth generation, Bowling for Soup emerged from the shadows with this hit. At the time, everyone had the chorus memorized, bouncing up and down to the fun beat. No matter what year it was…everyone definitely had a soft spot for 19…19…1985!

Game of Love”–Michelle Branch and Santana

Every single girl’s anthem back in the day. Michelle Branch was the queen of angst and, with Santana doing his thing in the background, this song proves that no one can top Ms. Branch when it comes to singing about love.

California Love”- Tupac

My roommate does not know this song. You need to know this song.

Stacy’s Mom”- Fountains of Wayne

This song continuously killed it at the middle school dances. Kids even got creative with it and inserted their friend’s hot mom in for Stacy. Safe to say that I think this song is always going to be a classic.

Barbie Girl”–Aqua

Enough said.

Miss Independent”– Kelly Clarkson

Ms. Clarkson has had a lot of hits, but Miss Independent is the song that really launched her career. It’s hard to pick a favorite Kelly Clarkson song, but I think it’s safe to say that everyone can jam out to this throwback.

Kiss Me”- Sixpence None the Richer

Ah, yes. The classic Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer. I don’t really know what else to say about this oldie except that I hope future generations have the opportunity to experience it.

Why Can’t I?”– Liz Phair

Having flashbacks to 13 Going on 30 as I type this. “Why can’t I breathe whenever I think about you?” is a line that many gals can relate to, and the rest of the lyrics are not too shabby either!

Girl Next Door”–Saving Jane

Before Taylor Swift sang “You Belong with Me”, there was this hit. Great tune that every “girl next door” must listen to!

Candy Shop”-50 Cent

This was the song that kids secretly discussed with their friends at the lunch table, dubbing it the scandal of the century.  “I’ll take you to the Candy Shop/I’ll let you lick the lollipop”?! Serious 6th grade discussions right there.

Crush”- David Archuleta

Remember this American Idol cutie? David Archuleta somehow made it okay to start crushing on your BFF with this single. To this day, I still remember blasting this song freshman year of high school, thinking about my own (major) crush.

Just a Girl”–Click 5

Such a throwback! Click 5 was a British boy band and I have absolutely no idea what they are doing now. At least we got “Just a Girl” out of them!

La La”–Ashlee Simpson

Please tell me you remember my girl Ashlee! Yes, before she disappeared from the planet, she actually had a lot of really good songs! “Boyfriend”? “Shadows”? “Love”? Look them all up if you do not know them already!