Where to Give to Hurricane Harvey Victims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Hurricane Harvey rocked cities and towns from Texas to Louisiana in recent weeks and its devastating damage has united the victims of the storm. As these victims face the aftermath, it can be hard to know how to directly contribute to the relief effort from states away. In addition, scam sites and fraud foundations have been set up to trick donors, and it can be hard to distinguish trustworthy organizations.

Here are a few great organizations that you can contribute to from right here in Virginia!

1. The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund

This fund was directly set up by Sylvester Turner, the Mayor of Houston. The fund is currently taking donations from $10 to $100,000 and will directly contribute to the greater Houston area and its residents. Donating to this fund is a good way to ensure that the people affected by the disaster are in good hands and will be able to rebuild their towns.

2. Direct Relief

This non-profit NGO was set up to aid with disaster relief and is currently supplying the people of Houston with food rations, which is something currently most needed by victims. A shortage of supplies and food is a terrible thing, and this NGO is working to guarantee meals for victims.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33252741@N08/36916700415

3. The SPCA of Texas

In the midst of the storm, thousands of pets were unfortunately lost, or even left behind by their families in the state of emergency. Now, with thousands of abandoned or displaced pets, animal shelters across the country are booming with incoming animal friends. It can be hard to sustain and maintain all of the animals in shelters, and the SPCA of Texas is another great place to give donations to.

4. BRAWS

Standing for “Bringing Resources to Aid Women’s Shelters”, this is a Northern Virginia based organization on a mission to supply bras, menstrual products, and diapers to women’s shelters in the area. They are currently taking physical donations including bras, pads, and tampons at their headquarters in Vienna, VA.

With more hurricanes present and forming, these organizations are good to keep in mind during times of dire need for many. This season of storms is no joke, and there are hundreds of thousands who need all the help that they can get.

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com