This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As college students, it can be difficult to remain on top of the current trends, especially when restricted to a college budget. A good way to remain fashionable, while not breaking the bank, is to invest in trendy pieces that you can wear throughout the year. When maintaining a fashionable appearance, it’s all about being creative with your wardrobe and figuring out how to wear the same piece from day to night and through different seasons. To make things easier Her Campus has picked out our favorite springs trends that we know will also look great in the summer time.

Black and White- This neutral based trend is perfect for those who need to stick to a professional demeanor during the day but want a more casual look at night. The contrasting colors allow for a multitude of pieces to be paired together. To make an exceptionally trendy black and white outfit try mixing up textures and patterns.

Pastels- Pastels are making a huge comeback this spring and summer. The trend was spotted all over the spring 2014 runways from Burberry, Jason Wu, and Rebecca Taylor. What’s great about the pastel trend is that there are so many colors to choose from. Everyone can find a pastel that is the most flattering for their body. Best of all you can wear this trend all the way from Easter brunch to August picnics. 

Metallic- This shiny trend is perfect for warmer months. When the sun is out these reflective colors stand out as one of the hottest trends of the season. One thing we love about this trend is that if you don’t feel comfortable sporting a whole outfit of metallic colors you can use metallic accents in combination with one of the other spring/summer 2014 trends we love. However if your feeling adventurous try mixing metallic colors for a stellar look.

Mesh- While the mesh trend may not be the most appropriate for the office, it is perfect for warm nights out and summer beach trips. Take a mesh top and layer it with a bandeau for spring or a bikini during the summer. We even predict this trend may continue in the fall when you can use heavier layers to re-wear mesh throughout the year.

Trendy Athletics- Even if you’re not the most athletic person you can look the part with this easy chic athletics trend. This structured look is perfect for baseball games or outdoor summer activities. The best part about this sporty look is getting to look trendy while wearing your favorite comfy clothes including hoodies, shorts, and dare we even say it: trendy sweats.

Tuxedo Pants- Similar to the black and white trend the tuxedo pant is easily worn from work to play. This trend is simple, feminine, and chic. We love the idea of pairing a tuxedo pant with a classic white button up and pumps for the office or a tank and a denim jacket for the weekend. 

Tropical Floral Prints- No longer is this pattern reserved for our fathers on vacations. We consider this spring trend to have officially srung after making its debut throughout fashion the week runways. And frankly we couldn’t be happier, because this brightly colored print is exactly what we needed after a horrible winter. It’s fresh, fun, unique, and reminds of us of relaxing days in the tropics, even if we’re stuck interning all summer long. 

Helen Ray

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com