This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Makeup lovers, on a budget, unite! Higher-end makeup is great, but feeling guilty about spending an outrageous amount of money is not fun. As a collegiette with a sad bank account, I try to stretch that last penny. Dropping big money on big names at the Nordstrom beauty counter has got to stop. Those sales people can be very convincing…but instead of feeling guilty, or putting a strain on my wallet, I compiled a list of makeup dupes from your favorite brands!

Lipstick

Revlon Matte Lipstick in ‘Pink Pout’ ($8) vs. MAC Lipstick in ‘Snob’ ($15)

I am a MAC addict, plain and simple. Even though I don’t wear lipstick on a daily basis, it’s nice to have my options open. Trying out lipsticks, at a fraction of the price, is perfect. Revlon has high quality lipsticks, identical to MAC’s pigments, for the fraction of the price. ‘Pink Pout’ is a fantastic dupe to MAC’s ‘Snob’.

Lip-gloss

ULTA’s Super Shiny Gloss in ‘Natural’ ($8) vs. NARS in ‘Orgasm’ ($24)

A girl can never have too many shades of lip-gloss. I’m almost sure I have enough lip-gloss tubes to last me an entire decade. Because I have such a strong desire to buy lip-gloss every time I visit ULTA or Sephora, I tend to be drawn towards glosses priced fewer than ten dollars. NARS has gorgeous colors, but the price for one is way over my budget. ULTA’s Super Shiny Gloss mimics NARS glosses perfectly. You could buy three ULTA lip-glosses for the price of one NARS lip-gloss!

Lip Stain

NYC Smooch Proof Lip Stain ($5) vs. Tarte’s Lipsurgence Matte Lip Stain ($24)

A long lasting lip stain that lasts all day, for $5!? Must be a miracle. It’s true, NYC offers makeup lovers thirteen shades of lip stain colors. NYC perfectly embodies Tarte’s Lipsurgence lip stain, for a sixth of the price. Brighten up your smile, and purchase one, two, or three NYC lipstains!

Mascara

Revlon Photo Ready 3D Volume ($9) vs. Benefit’s ‘They’re Real’ Mascara ($23)

Mascara can make or break your look. Personally, I like to splurge on a good mascara brand, in order to ensure long and full lashes. I was skeptical of using drugstore brand mascara, but Revlon made me a believer. Revlon’s Photo Ready mascara will transform and enhance your lashes, just like Benefit’s ‘They’re Real’.

Eyeliner

Maybelline Gel Eyeliner in Black ($9) vs. MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack ($16)

I’m a huge fan of gel eyeliners. Mostly because it’s the only eyeliner I am somewhat decent at using. MAC’s fluidline has great consistency that is hard to find elsewhere. Although I like MAC, it is a little over my price range. When I want to try out a new color, like purple for my brown eyes, I don’t want to go all out. Instead, I can opt for a cheaper price and test out the color. Maybelline offers four beautiful gel colors to make yours eye pop!

Eyeshadow

MUA in ‘Shade 12’ ($1) vs. MAC in ‘Club’ ($15)

I absolutely love eyeshadows and the many looks I can create with them. Paying a chipotle burrito’s worth for one single eyeshadow can break anyone’s heart. Don’t get me wrong, MAC’s pigments are beautiful. But my bank account, not so much. MUA is a great brand that sells similar pigments to MAC, for a dollar! Pigments are almost identical and get the job done, just like MAC would.

Highlighter

e.l.f. Shimmering Facial Whip ($1) vs. Benefit’s High Beam ($26)

This has got to be my ultimate favorite dupe of all makeup dupes. For just one dollar, makeup lovers can buy e.l.f.’s amazing facial whip highlighter. The best part of this highlighter is that it’s exactly the same as Benefit’s ‘High Beam’ highlighter, but in a bigger tube. E.l.f. also offers this facial whip in four colors! Bigger and more colors? This is a makeup STEAL!

Blush

NYX Cream Blush in Natural ($6) vs. MAC Cremeblend Blush in ‘Ladyblush’ ($21)

With the warmer weather rolling in, collegiettes are trying to get that flushed look, without getting sunburned. Cream blush can do just that. A glowing flushed looked can come at a price though, if you’re not savvy about dupes. NYX offers a gorgeous cream blush finish in a natural color, for only $6. It is a great dupe to MAC’s cremeblend blushes. Once again, at a fraction of the price!

Bronzer

Physician’s Formula Shimmer Strip ($12) vs. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick ($42)

If you didn’t get to travel somewhere tropical and warm for Spring Break, you can still get that bronzed look. I use bronzer very sparingly, trying not to go over board. I personally don’t like to splurge for something that I don’t use much of. But, I also like a good quality bronzer, because I’m not trying to look like an Oompa Loompa. Bobbi Brown’s ‘Shimmer Brick’ is beautiful, but too pricey. Physician’s Formula has an equal bronzer called ‘Shimmer Strip’. It’s the perfect dupe for the warmer weather!

Brow Gel

e.l.f. ($3) vs. MAC ($16)

If your brow game needs a little help, leave it up to e.l.f.! MAC’s brow gel only comes with the gel and brush for$16. On the other hand, e.l.f. provides a brow gel that comes with the gel, a brush, and colored gel to make your eyebrows full and face framing. Oh, and it’s only $3!

Makeup Remover

Neutrogena Oil-Free Remover ($8) vs. Lancome Bi-Facil ($28)

What do you do after putting on all that makeup? You have to take it off! This is my least favorite part of the process because my skin is very sensitive, and it stings when I remove eye makeup. Lancome Bi-Facil makeup remover is amazing, it melts off all the makeup, without the pain! The only painful thing is the price. For that great quality and cheap price, Neutrogena makes a faultless dupe, for $8.

Picture Sources: 1, 23, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com