Spellbound Style:10 DIY Costumes for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Between you and me, Halloween is one of my favorite days of the year. It’s pretty much the only day you can dress up, and cause all kinds of mayhem and mischief (but stay safe, please)! Whether you are going to a haunted house, pretending you’re still 13 by blending in with trick-or-treaters, or getting down to “Thriller” on the dance floor, you have to look good. Instead of buying your outfit ready-made in a bag, let’s get creative. Here are 10 DIY Halloween costume ideas ranging all the way from sassy to sweet.

Wonder Woman

Get ready to save the day in an outfit inspired by the world’s most favored heroine! Pick up any red cotton t-shirt (Michaels Arts and Crafts has plenty) and cut it into a tank top. With gold fabric paint, draw the Wonder Woman symbol and use a white fabric marker to draw white stars on an old pair of shorts. Find a gold headband (walmart, target, thrift store) and wear any kind of sneakers. If you have silver cuffs that would be great. If not, forever 21 and Claire’s has them at a pretty cheap price.

Dorothy (Remixed)

Strut down the yellow brick road as Wizard of Oz’s Dorothy in this up-to-date costume. Buy a cheap overall dress similar to this one (Forever21). Grab an old button down and cut off the sleeves or buy a cheap sleeveless button down. Red sneakers and knee length socks gives the look a more relaxed look. Don’t forget to wear low pigtails with cute little blue bows to top off the look!

Bandit

Any robber would never want to get caught, but with an outfit like this, you’ll be waltzing into the spotlight. Have a pair of black jeans and a striped shirt? If so, then you are set. If not, then the thrift store is sure to have both of these items. To create a mask, buy black craft felt (you can buy this at any craft store) and cut it in a rectangular form. Make sure you cut two holes for eyeholes and secure it with string so you can wear it all night. Plastic handcuffs (party store) can be worn as a bracelet if you let one cuff hang.

Lola Bunny

Get a little looney as one of your favorite childhood cartoons, Lola Bunny from Space Jam! To get the look, buy a pair of white Soffe shorts and turn a white t-shirt into a tank top. With fabric markers draw the “tune-squad” logo. Also, buy a cheap pair of white gloves. If you would like a fluffy tail, glue large cottong balls on the back of the shorts. Slip on a pair of sneakers and braid your hair in a high ponytail. You’re now ready to hit the courts with your own tune-squad teammates.

Cowgirl

Get “country cute” as a cowgirl this Halloween! Find your old summer shorts and bring out your fall plaid shirt. You should be able to find old cowboy boots and a hat at any local thrift store. Buy gold cardstock (Michaels Arts and Crafts) and cut out a star shape. You now have your very own badge so you can show everyone who is the sheriff in town.

M&M

You are sure to shine bright and look sweet as an M&M! Everything you wear, except for your shorts, should be one color. Find a t-shirt in one of the M&M colors and cut it into a tank top. Find a matching baseball cap and wear it backwards for a sporty look. Buy white felt fabric, cut it into an “m” and glue it on your top. White gloves and sneakers complete the look.You’ll look so convincing, beware of those with a sweet tooth.

Flapper

Now we all know, that “a little party never killed nobody,” right? Enter into the world of The Great Gatsby as a flapper from the roaring 20’s. Hunt through vintage shops for a twenties-esque dress. For a headpiece, go to a crafts store and buy a bag of feathers and glueable gems. Stick them on a cheap headwrap and buy a pair of thigh-high stockings. Clap your hands and do the charleston in your 1920’s costume.

Jungle Cat

Feeling a little inspired by Katy Perry’s “Roar”. Become one with your inner jungle cat by purchasing a cheap pair of animal print leggings. Next, buy a black t-shirt and cut it into a crop top. For sparkly cat ears, get a black headband. Then go to a crafts store and then buy glitter cardstock. Cut the cardstock into two triangles and glue them to the headband. Heel boots complete the look so well, you’ll feel like queen of the pridelands.

Zombie

With movies and television shows, like Warm Bodies and The Walking Dead, zombies are becoming a current, pop culture phenomenon. If you want to be a more vamped up zombie then purchase a white bodycon dress. This should be pretty easy to find now that summer clothes have gone on sale. Next, buy heavy gauze that you can wrap around you, in any fashion you would like. Sneakers make the look a little more playful. When walking or dancing all night, you’ll need them. 

Pirate

Being a pirate is always fun and is one of my favorite characters to become. If you want to be one too, but a little more haute-couture than swashbuckling, buy a red, high-low skirt. Find an inexpensive striped shirt and gold hoops. Also find a black scarf and stamp a skull and crossbones on it, so you can wear it as a headwrap.

Nia King

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com