Senioritis Hits GMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

After my first week of midterms, countless chapters of reading, homework assignments and a few papers, I confess: I have senioritis. What is it about fall semester that plagues the senior class with the awful epidemic?  It’s been just a few weeks into the semester and I already find myself fighting the urge to skip my morning class, and trying to justify it with the fact that my professor doesn’t take attendance anyway. Graduation may seem like it’s around the corner, but any laziness or slacking off now may cost us an extra semester during the summer or fall – enough motivation for us to keep on trucking. So here are a few steps on how to avoid letting senioritis get the best of you:

1.  Think about the NOW: Finishing up your last year at college and planning for life post-grad is exciting, but don’t forget about things on your agenda today. Continue doing what you do. Keep up with assignments and readings. Use your excitement for graduation as motivation to do well and finish the year off right!

2.  Take care of yourself: You won’t be able to do well in your final year of college if you don’t take proper care of yourself. Your last year of college may serve as an opportunity to live it up and drink it down, but be weary of the effects these final days of college partying can have on your body. Work out, stay nourished and get rest!

3.  Plan ahead: Talk to your advisor about what you can do in your last year to make it all the more worthwhile. Make sure you’re all set for graduation in May and have all your required credits. Ask about internship opportunities both on-campus and off. Your final year is a great time to intern for an organization- especially if they offer you a full-time job at the end of your time there!

4.   Enjoy yourself: College is a life experience. As much as we should be focused on our studies, don’t forget to have fun. You’ve spent three years of hard work and now that you’re almost done, reward yourself every now and then without losing focus!

http://www.fastweb.com/student…

Finishing college can be both exciting and a bit scary. But with the right steps, you can enjoy it and still be successful for life after grad!  

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.