Samantha McCurry: A Heroine for Premature Babies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

On October 7, 1995, a baby girl was born prematurely in Englewood, NJ. The doctors weren’t sure if she was going to make it. But thanks to the March of Dimes, she was able to receive the care she needed.

Today, Samantha McCurry is a junior studying Government and International Politics with a concentration in Law, Philosophy and Governance and a minor in Legal Studies at George Mason University. I had the opportunity to interview her and learn more about her involvement with the March of Dimes.

Juliane Veloso: What is the March of Dimes?

Samantha McCurry: The March of Dimes is a national organization that works to improve the health and well being of mothers and babies in the U.S, with a focus on combating premature birth and birth defects. For almost 80 years, the March of Dimes as been at the forefront of groundbreaking research and development of new products, medications and treatments that save lives. Every year, the organization holds multiple events to raise funds and awareness of the problem of premature birth and birth defects in the United States. They also work with government on the local, state, and federal level in lobbying for legislation that benefits maternal and child health.

JV: How has the March of Dimes helped you?

SM: When I was little, I had no idea what the March of Dimes was. My family did a few NICU events here and there, and maybe a walk or two, but my mother says it was just too hard for her to be back in that environment because of the memories it brings back. It wasn’t until high school when I got involved in the Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda (FBLA-PBL) that I really got involved with the March of Dimes. Since then, I have had the privilege and honor to serve this amazing organization on multiple accounts. I have spoken at some of their events, I serve on the Young Professionals Board in DC and I continue to volunteer for them through FBLA-PBL. I don’t think it is so important to say how they have helped me, but how they help every baby in this country get a healthy start to life. Because of the March of Dimes, many families will not have to experience what my family did, and that means more to me than anything.

JV: How does the March of Dimes help other people?

SM: If you are a baby born in the US, you are a March of Dimes baby. This organization doesn’t just help babies born too soon or with birth defects. They have been at the forefront of amazing discoveries since the beginning, and these discoveries have been to the benefit of all babies. From vaccines to newborn screening tests, the March of Dimes has been there for it all.

JV: What is your current involvement with March of Dimes?

SM: Currently, I am an intern in the March of Dimes Office of Government Affairs. This is the office that handles congressional efforts to improve legislation geared towards maternal and child health. I also serve on the D.C Young Professionals Board, and continue to volunteer with the organization as much as I can.

JV: What can students at George Mason University do to support the March of Dimes?

SM: There is plenty that Mason students can do to support the March of Dimes. One excellent way is to get involved with GMU Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda, as March of Dimes is the national service partner of this student organization. We do a large fundraiser every year for the March of Dimes where students will have the opportunity to interact with March of Dimes representatives and meet a March of Dimes Ambassador family. The event is called “Banquet for Babies” and is definitely a lot of fun. There’s free food, fun games, the opportunity to win door prizes, and performances from student groups. This year it is on Saturday, December 10th at 8:00pm in the JC Bistro and is free for Mason students. All proceeds from this event will go to our March for Babies fundraising goal of $1,000!

Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev