Rachel Torres: Setting Standards for Athletic Trainers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Rachel Torres is in her second, and final, year of George Mason University’s Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion masters program. She currently works at GMU as an interim Athletic Trainer and as the Assistant Manager for the GMU’s athletic department. She has previously earned experience with D.C. United, Virginia Development Academy, Prince William Soccer, Inc., Manassas Brigade Youth Lacrosse, Central Loudoun Youth Football, The Jackson Clinics, and various local high schools, sportsplexes, camps, and clinics.

Rachel has a passion for photography as well and started her very own company in 2012. You will most often find her at home watching sports documentaries or editing her photographs, when she is not at work, in class, or conducting/analyzing research at George Mason University’s Sports Medicine Assessment, Research and Testing (SMART) Laboratory.

*Torres pictured with DC United Player*

“I was throwing a football and shooting a basketball on my mini hoop before I could walk. When I figured out how to walk, I was running around kicking a soccer ball. And between all of the All-American and collegiate/professional athletes in my family, sports have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.

“When my college career ended due to injuries and recommendations against any more athletic participation, I couldn’t help but think that my misfortune could have been prevented.”

As a way to give back and prevent (as much as I can) what happened to me from happening to anyone else, I decided to pursue an athletic training degree.

In 2014, I graduated from George Mason University with a Bachelors of Science degree in Athletic Training and Kinesiology and am back continuing my education here in GMU’s Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion masters program.

Athletic training has become so much more to me than providing medical coverage and taking care of athletes. I have found my purpose and passion in life, and I am one of the few who can say that they absolutely love their job! 

*Torres pictured above with other Mason students at the RFK Stadium*

Athletic training encompasses the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries and medical conditions. We provide general and emergency medical coverage for all athletic events, both at home and away. We also collaborate with physicians to provide preventative services, as well as the highest quality healthcare possible—athletic trainers make the appropriate medical decisions at the right time to help ensure sport safety to our athletes.

Thus far, I have worked with various high schools and youth leagues in both Fairfax and Prince William County, as well as part of the training room staff at George Mason University providing healthcare to the men’s soccer team and women’s soccer and lacrosse teams. Most recently, I have worked as a member of the DC United sports medicine team, in which I also worked as the Head Athletic Trainer with the club’s U23 Academy team last summer.

Over the past three years, I have thoroughly enjoyed working with an elite caliber of athlete—one of the reasons that I decided to pursue my Masters of Science degree, so that I could continue working at the university level after graduation.

Being an athletic trainer is so rewarding. Ask anyone who works in this environment. Especially if you, yourself, have gone through a grueling post-op and/or injury recovery, there is nothing greater than seeing your athlete finally cleared for play after all of their hard work. Plus, being an athletic trainer is so much fun! Yes, it’s hard work and long hours, exhausting road trips, sunburns, and sometimes frustrating circumstances, but there’s also so much excitement, and accomplishment, healthy competition, and a sense of community and family–everyone is in it together! Like I said before, watching your athletes succeed–whether on the field or in the training room–is the greatest feeling in the world… and knowing that you were a part of that, makes the long hours worth every second. 

Rachel will be graduating in May and is currently looking at employment opportunities at Universities around the country. Check her out on linkedin!

Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats