An Open Letter to Bernie Sanders Fans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Dear Fellow Bernie Sanders Fans,

Ever since Bernie stepped into the political spotlight, I was hooked. With his loving smile and personality, I could just feel the genuinity in his words and actions. He has so many great qualities that would make him a fantastic leader of this country and I’m sure you all are aware of this. This is not a “Bernie or bust” letter — this is a “we haven’t lost yet” letter.

It’s okay. This November 8th we have to show up to the polls in droves to make our voices heard and select the only candidate that could possibly allow any of Bernie’s wishes to come true. You might not like Hillary Clinton (she surely isn’t my favorite grandma around), you might not agree with her, you might think, “Oh I’m just going to write Bernie in!” Please DON’T do that. He will most likely be a great advisor to her when she wins the election. Writing Bernie in is like throwing away votes that will lead to a Trump presidency.

All is not lost because Bernie is still a powerful person in Senate and if the local turnout is in-line with the national one, there will be a lot of party changing upsets in all levels. This means that Democrats will overtake the majority and actually be able to get laws passed instead of being constantly hindered by a hellbent GOP. This also means that BERNIE would be the head of the budget committee, which could even lead to a lot of the changes he envisioned when he ran for office.

Hang in there feel-the-Berners and vote,

Courtney Spencer

All Opinions are her own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus George Mason University

Image credit: E! Online

Courtney Spencer

George Mason University

Courtney is a Public Relations major at GMU and the Editor for Her Campus here. She hails from Chesapeake, Virginia, the #3 most boring city in the country. As a sophomore, she has already achieved #1 A-list fame in the Kim Kardashian: Hollywood game. As a Junior, she has already achieved a twitter follow from Aly and AJ, so basically her life is set. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can be found on Tumblr, Instagram, or Twitter probably droning on about Harry Styles or puppies (but not all the time so follow me! @cspencerr). If you see her around campus, don't be shy, say hi!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com