The Myth about Vegetarians and Vegans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
There are those crazy vegetarians again, always protesting against meat and animal cruelty, dirty hair, rugged clothes, and an odd way of life.  WRONG! Today in the JC I saw a sign that said “Free Vegan Food” the guy running the booth was the complete opposite of a stereotypical vegan. He  had on a clean-cut polo and jeans– totally normal! Being curious I wanted to know what was up. After talking for a while he gave me information and a delicious vegan cookie.

Vegan is the term for someone who does not eat or use anything that comes from animals, including milks, eggs, cheese, leather, wool, and other processed items, not a crazy tree hugger! Vegetarians do not eat meat, including fish. Famous Vegetarians include actresses Anne Hathaway, Pamela Anderson, Glee’s Diana Agron, and country singer Carrie Underwood. Famous Vegans include talk show host Ellen Degeneres, Glee’s Lea Michele,  and actresses Natalie Portman, and Alicia Silverstone. (Notable vegan men include Former President Bill Clinton, and Biggest Loser Trainer Bob Harper)

Myth 1: All Vegetarians/Vegans are die hard animal rights activist.

While many Vegetarians and Vegans are into animal rights, it is the second most popular answer of those that follow the diet. Most convert to Vegetarianism for the health benefits. Animal products are full of saturated fat, cholesterol, pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics which are all linked to disease and illness.  Dairy products are mostly 50% fat or more, even 2% milk is more than 30% fat. If you do want to eat meat, eat chicken or fish, as those are the leanest, try to avoid red meats. As for dairy, find butter without hydrogenated oils (Earth Balance), drink skim milk, and eat swiss cheese as it has the least amount of fat.

Guac Wraps
1/2cup corn kernels
¼ cup guacamole
¼ cup salsa
1 Tbs. lime juice

½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
2 large lettuce leaves

Mix everything but lettuce in a bowl. Divide and put into the lettuce leaves. Roll up and enjoy
*Add chicken or fish for a meat option*

Myth 2: They don’t enough protein or calcium in their daily diets.

We need 46 grams of protein a day, and not all protein comes from meat. Chickpeas, grains, nuts, legumes (peas, beans, lentils) are all great ways to get the protein we need, and most Americans get double the protein they need without even eating a cheeseburger.  As kids we are told that we need to drink milk to make our bones strong. Although that may still reign true, many veggies, the darker the better, have tons of calcium in them. We are the only species alive that drinks milk as adults, and the milk of another species for that matter. Awesome alternatives are soy milk, almond milk, and yes even coconut milk.

BBCutie Chick Peas
2 cans of chickpeas drained
½ bottle of BBQ sauce                         
½ tsp. onion powder

Mix chick peas, BBQ sauce, and onion powder together in a big bowl. Put in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and serve over instant brown rice or whole grain noodles

Myth 3: Humans were designed to eat meat.

Again, false! Yes we have canine teeth, but studies show that we were only designed to eat meat occasionally as a last resort survival instinct. Our digestive system is very similar to those of the everyday plant eaters and very different from a carnivore. By avoiding meat vegetarians and vegans live on average 6-10 years longer than meat-eaters. When eating, make sure that you have mostly veggies on your plate, meat should be the smallest portion on your plate, no more than 3-4oz (about the size of your fist).

“Pimp My Ramen” Noodles
1 package Ramen (try oriental flavor) 

1 huge tbs of peanut butter                                   
1 tbs of hot sauce

Make Ramen as package directs. Add peanut butter and hot sauce. Mix and enjoy.
*Put over bean sprouts and crushed peanuts, or add chicken for a lean meat.*

Myth 4: Carbohydrates make you fat

Eating too much of anything will make you fat. There are good carbs and bad carbs, eat the good carbs which include vegetables, whole grains, and fruits.  Avoid white bread and white rice. Women in college should get 25 grams of fiber a day.

Cinnamon Rolls
1 slice wheat bread
Margarine to taste
Cinnamon to taste                              
Sugar to taste

Take the crust off the bread, then flatten with your heaviest most hated text book (or rolling pin). Spread on margarine, then sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar. Roll up like a burrito and cut into mini rolls. Microwave for 15 seconds and viola!

Myth 5: Bye Bye Sweets!

The thought of not being able to eat ice cream or cookies again may make you want to stay in bed all day, but there are some amazing cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream that even non veggie people love.  Here is a favorite for chocolate chip cookies! But remember to still work out, just because they don’t have eggs, butter, or milk doesn’t mean they don’t have calories.  

Fake Blondes
½ cup applesauce
? cup sugar
¼ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour (whole wheat is preferred)          
4 tbs cocoa powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup chocolate chips (Ghirardelli semi- sweet chocolates are vegan!)

Mix together applesauce, sugar, oil, and vanilla in large bowl. In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add bowl two, to bowl one, and mix just until they are combined. Add chocolate chips. Pour into a dish that will fit into your microwave and nuke for 4-5 minutes. Let cool before cutting into bars, Yum!

*All recipes were taken from Peta’s Vegan College Cookbook, and can be made in a standard dorm microwave*

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.