Austin Harrington: The Music Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Meet Austin Harrington, a sophomore majoring in Computer Science at George Mason University. He enjoys playing video games, watching hockey, watching movies, and hanging out with friends. What sets him apart from a lot of people here at Mason is that he’s a part of the NCAA #1 ranked pep band in the country, the Green Machine.

Austin has been in band for nine years. He plays the baritone, a brass instrument that looks like a mix between the horn off of an ancient record player and a bunch of tubes. Along with being a part of the baritone section of the Green Machine, Austin is also part of the operations crew, which makes sure that nothing goes wrong at performances and rehearsals. When asked why he is part of the Green Machine Austin answered, “I just love making music.”

Kaelyn Cook: What is your favorite song that Green Machine has played?

Austin Harrington: My favorite song to play is probably the Glitch Mob remix of Seven Nation Army. We play it at the beginning of every basketball game and it’s always fun to get the crowd going. 

KC: If Green Machine could play any song, what would you like them to play?

AH: There’s no specific song that I would want us to play. I just know that any new song we have will be spectacular.

KC: How does it feel to be a part of one of the best college pep bands in the country?

AH: It’s an honor to be in such a prestigious band.

KC: Who is your role model when it comes to making music?

AH: My musical role model would definitely have to be my high school band director, Stephen Panoff, as he allowed me to truly appreciate music.

KC: How has being a part of Green Machine impacted your time at Mason?

AH: Green Machine has had a large impact on my life here at Mason because that is where I have gained all of my friends that have not lived in the same building as me.

KC: What advice can you offer aspiring musicians or people trying to get involved with Green Machine on campus?

AH: Some advice I would give to aspiring musicians would be to definitely join Green Machine. Even if you are taking a full courseload, you can register for the zero credit version. If you are a musician there is really no reason not to do Green Machine.

KC: How do you think the Green Machine has influenced the Mason community, and how do you think your role in the green machine has helped the Mason community?

AH: The Green Machine has a huge influence on the community because it is always able to hype up the student body. It has also had a great influence on me as it has extended my music taste even further and I am always excited to go to every rehearsal or gig.

Kaelyn Cook

George Mason University

I'm a vegetarian, a globetrotter and a very passionate bookworm. I like listening to rock music, baking, and dyeing my hair crazy colors. I've begun collecting tattoos and stories and before I die I want to kiss in the rain. I love to dance (very badly, I might add), sing in the shower and stare at the stars. I live in my own little world and sometimes I get lost there. It's a good place to be.
Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev