More than Just Student Government Vice President: Jacky Yoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
Meet Jacky Yoo, an inspiring and driven senior from Vienna, Virginia, who is savoring every moment at Mason before graduation. Jacky is a Communication major with a Public Relations concentration. She also is minoring in Business Sports Communication, Tourism, and Events Management. Jacky’s determination and involvement glistens throughout campus. She can be extremely serious at times, but loves to have fun, and be the “ordinary” college student. See why Jacky Yoo loves Mason and why Mason is lucky enough to have her!

HCGMU: When applying to colleges, what made you chose Mason?

Jacky: I knew senior year of high school, I definitely wanted to stay close to home. At first, my intentions were to come to Mason for one year and then transfer. I felt I would give it a try and if need be I would go out of state. Well, lucky after my first year, I fell in LOVE with George Mason University. The campus, student body, beautiful scenery, location, the feeling of a “Mason family,” and a chance of improvement and opportunity, lead me to stay! I’m so happy of my decision and proud to be a patriot!

HCGMU: What organizations are you involved in and what have you done here at Mason these past three years?

Jacky: I was a Patriot leader, a Resident Advisor for a short time, a peer advisor, involved with students helping hondura, president of the rotorac club, a step mentor, Vice President of student government for two years, involved in Leadershape twice and was a coordinator, involved in SOL, (School of Embodied Leadership) Gospel Choir, member of the L team, Lead Scholars, Honor Committee, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Communication Honor Society, on the Program Board of Teach Mason Life, in which I was a instructor/ mentor for students with down syndrome and autism. Hopefully this year, I will be a part of Mason student media.

HCGMU: What made you join student government?

Jacky: Every since elementary school, I was involved in student government. When I was a patriot leader and RA, I met D’Leon at a leadership conference. I was influenced to run with him during election time, learn how to change student government and bring a change to the student body. I later joined, and it was the best decision of my life. It is amazing tohave your foot in every change here at Mason. The administrators here come and listen to students! Last year students complained that there were no free refills, however, with much consideration from administrators and student government, we now have free refills. The little things turn into big things. I have a extremely close connection with everyone I work with. People say, “Don’t mix business and pleasure,” however we became a family! My college experience would be extremely different! It made me change as a person anddefinitely made me come out of comfort zone into better and focused leader.

HCGMU: How has Mason grown as a whole since you started your freshman year?

Jacky: Mason’s growth has influenced my own personal growth. Mason has definitely changed into a stronger community. Every incoming group is distinctive and an essential piece to Mason. Each person brings a unique change. George Mason University is #2 on the World News Report, for the Most Up-and-Coming University. Even though I won’t be here when the school is popular, I’m extremely excited to be a part of it and honored to be in student government and a soon to be, alma mater.

HCGMU: Has Mason allowed you to meet anyone in particular who you looked up to?

Jacky: People gave me a piece of themselves. I have developed a vision and drive for everything I put my heart into, and new experiences fuel me. I appreciate how graduate students and administrators CARE for every student. The relationship is unbreakable. Their doors are always open, actually take the time to remember you by name. As a leader, I find this to be a very special quality about Mason and it’s staff.

HCGMU: What do you plan on doing after Mason?

Jacky: After I graduate, I plan to take a one-year break. I have had two internships in the past and job this summer. I feel like the time off will make me figure out what I really want to do. I second-guessed myself later on, of what I wanted to do in my college experience. My first internship was with the Mason athletics department for communication, then, I worked for a Communication Marketing agency, as a public relation intern, and then this summer I was data specialist Vienna, VA. Eventually, I want to attend Law school, at my “dream” school, Harvard University.

HCGMU: Do you have any quotes that are important in your life?

Jacky: I have many!
“Sleep when you’re dead”
“If you ‘re early your on time, if you’re on time your late”
“Others before self”
“Leadership comes with passion not position”
“Always experience once, live your life, laugh it off and learn”
I didn’t run for president for student government because I feel titles don’t matter! All that matters is that you give 100% My favorite words in life are, PASSION, VISION, and EMPOWERMENT.

HCGMU: Do you have any advise for students?

Jacky: Looking back at my freshman, I learned to live your life and not to find people you’re supposed to be with. If your true to yourself, people will find you naturally.

FOLLOW YOUR PASSIONS!

HCGMU: What are some of your hobbies?

Jacky: I love to sing, knit , paint my nails as a stress reliever, craft, watch chick flicks allowing me to seclude myself from the outside world, hang out with family, friends, laughing! I love listening to music and Chris Brown, is my idol I also love to play sports, such as, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and football. College is the 1st time ever I’m not on a actually team.

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.