A Month of Panhellenic Love and Service on GMU’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

February, the month of love, has been one of Panhellenic service and support for various events! Improving the community through such events are something that the Panhellenic community takes very seriously. 

Rachel Baker, a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi says, “Service is a great way to give back to the community and feel like you’re doing something good for those in need!”

Many of our fabulous seven Panhellenic sororities on Mason’s campus have held various events throughout the month to better our community.

Alpha Omicron Pi– The sisters of the Gamma Alpha chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi have been spreading Alpha Love to the George Mason community during the month of February by random acts of kindness! Some of these Alpha Acts of Kindness have been handing out donut holes, Hershey’s kisses, and hot chocolate. The event will end next week with handing out scantrons to help motivate students during their exams!

Gamma Alpha’s Historian, Katie Cho said, “I enjoy participating in our Alpha Acts of Kindness because knowing that I could brighten someone’s day, even a little bit, makes my day better. I’m so proud to be a part of a sisterhood that makes sure to put others before ourselves.”

Alpha Phi– Alpha Phi Eta Lambda kicked off their annual Heart Health Month with a Teddy Bear Drive benefiting INOVA Fairfax Children’s Hospital. The drive lasted two days, and received donations from almost every Greek organization on campus.

Eta Lambda’s Vice President of Marketing, Devyn Goldstein said, “The sisters of Alpha Phi are happy to announce a grand total of 150 teddy bears, will be donated to the Children’s Hospital. Heart Health Month will continue next week, with kiosks to raise awareness and collect monetary donations for Women’s Heart Health.”

Pi Beta Phi- George Mason’s Pi Beta Phi chapter will be holding their Arrow Spike tournament. Arrow Spike is an universal Pi Beta Phi event across the nation that combines friendly competition with raising money for Pi Phi’s literacy initiative: read > lead > achieve.

Sister Darian Banks said, “Last year was our first year and we are hoping to make the second annual event 100 times better! It’s an amazing opportunity to share the philanthropy we love so much with groups of people all over campus – other organizations and friends that we might not be able to reach otherwise.”

Alpha Xi Delta had a fundraiser at Manhattan Pizza on campus where they raised money for their philanthropy, Autism Speaks! 20% of the proceeds from each meal purchased was donated!

Zeta Tau Alpha, Gamma Phi Beta, and Chi Omega will also be hosting service and philanthropy projects in March!

The sororities on campus have done amazing work this February, and will continue to do more work throughout the remainder of the semester.

Arlene Flannery, Vice President of Risk Management of Alpha Phi, said, “I would be lying if I said I was cognizant of the fact that there’s a negative stigma surrounding sorority life, but I believe that is important now more than ever to show the importance of philanthropy, and if we can do so while serving the community, what’s better than that?”

Savannah Behrmann

George Mason University

I am a sophomore at George Mason, studying Communications with a concentration in journalism. My main campus involvements include being a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi International sorority, Mason Ambassadors, and contributing to both Mason Cable News and The Fourth Estate as a reporter. I hold a current internship in the Admissions Office, working specifically for the Washington Scholars Program. After interning for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference this past summer, I realized that journalism was absolutely what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm excited for my time at George Mason and to continue adventuring the DC area! You can catch me at Starbucks.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com