Madison Wiernusz: Staying Involved One Organization at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Courtesey of Madison Wiernusz 

Meet Madison “Madi” Wiernusz, a sophomore Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations from Lansdale, Pennsylvania. Madi is a part of Team SI as a desk assistant for the Office of Student Involvement, a University 100 Peer Advisor and a Mason Ambassador, where she serves as the Community Chair. When she’s not dealing with her busy life as student leader, Madi is just regular girl from Philly who enjoys meeting new people and strutting her Mason Pride!

What made you want to come to Mason?

MW: During the summer of 2015, I came attended the Washington Journalism and Media Conference here at Mason – that’s when I first saw the campus. I came back later that summer and toured the campus which made me apply here under the early action application. I still hadn’t made my decision by the time I was accepted earlier that year, so I came back for Spring Preview and I immediately knew this was it. Aside from that, I was looking for an out-of-state school because I had never ventured out of Philly where my whole life was. Coming here was a change that I wanted to take.

How has being heavily involved here on campus impacted your Mason Experience?

MW: I’m definitely really busy, but it has given me the opportunity to see all that Mason has to offer. Through my jobs, I’ve created a network of Mason friends which has made my experience here really positive. I feel like I always have someone to turn to, no matter where I need it.

Via GMU Creative Services

What is it like being a Peer Advisor and Mason Ambassador?

MW: It’s a lot of work if I’m being completely honest. I get to work with prospective students and current freshmen, and when I’m able to help them, it’s a great feeling. I like the idea of knowing that I’m helping students on their journey to or at Mason. Both organizations foster such a positive, welcoming environment, just like a family. It’s great to have that support.

What are your duties as Community Chair of Mason Ambassadors?

MW: Apart from my main duties to give tours to prospective or admitted students and working big events like Fall Premiere and Spring Preview, I am in charge of organizing all of our social events. After we get new Ambassadors, I host what’s called “Mingle Week”, which is a couple weeks of fun, socializing events for all Ambassadors, new or old, to get to know each other more. That’s my biggest responsibility in that position. I am also working on putting on a new event each year.

How do you stay on schedule with such a busy life?

MW: I don’t – just kidding! I just make sure I have everything planned out or written down somewhere. I have a ton of sticky notes on my laptop home screen – one for each of my orgs and homework – then I also have a to-do list on there as well. Then, I have a desk calendar in my room that’s color coded with everything. I also put all my obligations into my phone and computer calendar as well which is also color coded. I use all of those things as a reference throughout the week. I also stay on schedule by designating time for different things. I prioritize certain duties over others, just so that I can get things done in the most logical order possible.

Via Pexels

Why is it important to be involved on campus?

MW: It’s super important to be involved on campus because school is stressful. Even though it may seem like this adds more to your plate, or more stress, it’s really not. You just have to get involved in organizations that you are passionate about or really like. Then, instead of it being an added stress, it’ll be your stress reliever.

More than that, though, being involved helps you meet more people on campus. Most of my friends have come out of my organizations. These people are just as driven and passionate about the same things as me makes us just seem to click. Honestly, being involved means finding people that share a common connection with you.

Via Pixabay

What advice would you give freshmen or first year college students about being involved?

MW: Don’t be afraid to try something that scares you. In fact, you should do something that scares you. It’s intimidating coming to a new school and trying to become part of an organization. That intimidation can’t impact your college experience because then you won’t do anything. Plus, you don’t have to join everything right away;  just go to an informational meeting and learn more about an organization because you truly never know what could happen.

Also, you don’t have to do everything with your friends or people you already know. Be willing to join an organization where you don’t know anybody. That will force you to interact with new people and learn more about them.

Via Student Involvement

Do you see yourself getting more involved on campus in the future?

MW: I can’t give a yes or no answer to this. I’m not going to shut myself off with these three places, but I need to also think about myself. It may be too much for me to add something else. I’m a huge advocate for doing one thing better than doing ten things mediocre. That’s not fair to you or an organization. I also want to move up within these organizations, so by doing that it would give me more responsibilities. I want to be able to do these things to the best of my ability.

Whether you see Madi out giving tours to prospective students or chilling at the front desk of OSI, don’t be shy. Stop by and say hi! She can definitely help you get involved here at Mason.

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com