This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Mindset is everything. Moving out for me, I lost my parents being there for my everyday mistakes and telling me if it was fixable do not worry about it. If I made mistakes that weren’t as easily fixed they would remind me to be grateful for the good things.

When I first moved out everything seemed easy and simple. I ate what I wanted when I wanted, and everything else whenever. But when I put off laundry for the third time and break a clothing hanger in one day it seems like I am a failure. If I do poorly in a class or assignment or procrastinate on my assignments I feel so terrible about myself. I began to feel so drained. Especially when there is a global pandemic going on. Growing up, moving out and remotely educating myself is a big burden and it’s not weak to say that.

I am learning everyday to give myself grace and invest in myself before anything else. I heard a quote that shook me to my core the other day.

“Would you treat the 5 year old version of yourself the way you treat the current version?”

Would you use kinder words? Would you be more patient? Of course as an adult I am more responsible and more capable than a five year old. But my general take away from that statement is to be gentle with myself. If I continue to wallow in self doubt and mistakes I’ve made I’m self inflicting pain that I do not need to carry. I can forgive myself everyday and make efforts to be better. But with work, school and relationships if I am not taken care of everything suffers. 

It is hard to find time for everything. Some days I cannot complete everything I think I should. But will the world fall apart if I don’t? No. So I need to learn how to prioritize having a routine that serves me. Creating a nighttime and morning routine that serves in taking care of my needs. Watching tik tok before I go to bed is something I enjoy but does not serve in taking care of myself. Sometimes I have to force myself to do parts of my routine that are good for me but sometimes aren’t easy to do. Some days I am so drained mentally and physically it’s hard to get out of bed. I find myself convincing myself with child-like logic of why I should just take the rest of the day off and lay in bed. While rest is important I know it’s more important than to complete tasks that will better my today and tomorrow sooner rather than later.

Some days it’s hard and stuff doesn’t get done. I begin to get upset with myself for not getting things done that I feel that I should have. But I learned that getting upset with myself and sitting in self pity does nothing but ruin my mindset and takes away my peace. All I can do is try to be better than I was yesterday. I cannot give myself unrealistic standards and then be upset and fall apart when they are not achieved. 

Having self destructive tendencies and mindsets can be detrimental to my well being. I am becoming more aware everyday of how much I need to love myself and give myself chances to be better. Loving myself unconditionally is hard. Before when I lived at home I was lucky to have parents to fill in my gaps and love me so much that I felt confident in myself and felt peace in that everything in my life would be okay.

Now as an adult I pay for all my food, clothing, house items, work, go to school, breathe etc. I am dealing with a lot and I need to acknowledge my heavy load cannot be beared by a body running on empty. Just because I am making it does not mean I am taking care of myself. Thinking of myself as a child makes my mindset change a lot. Would I tell my 5 year old self to skip lunch to go do homework? Would I tell my 5 year old self to wear dirty clothes instead of washing them? Knowing the injustices I have subjected myself to is sad. Loving yourself should be the first and last thing you do everyday. Not something you decide to put off for tomorrow.

AnnMarie Juarez

Winthrop '22

hey guys!! i am a imc major at wu.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.