Kellie Courville: Alpha Xi Delta’s Newest President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Kellie Courville is one of the brightest and most philanthropic-minded students that Mason has to offer.  She’s a double major in Marketing and Management, but her passion lies in helping children and families affected by autism through her sorority, Alpha Xi Delta (ΑΞΔ).

Kellie (right) with sisters Taylor Indovina (left) and Kaitlyn Correnti (center) at a philanthropy event.

Alpha Xi Delta’s official philanthropy is Autism Speaks, and ΑΞΔ’s Iota Alpha chapter at GMU is doing huge things for the organization.  Last semester, Courville and her sisters participated in Autism Speaks’ national walk, Walk Now for Autism Speaks.  Together, they raised over $17,000 for the organization, set up games and obstacle courses for the children, and bonded with local families who face the unique challenges and joys of raising a child with Autism every day.  

“This is my favorite philanthropy event we put on.”

Courville describes how the walk is her “favorite philanthropy event we put on. We’re able to interact with the families. It’s a great hands on experience to meet the families and see where all of the money we fundraise goes to.”

ΑΞΔ’s philanthropic efforts don’t stop with the walk for Autism Speaks. Courville and her sisters have huge plans for the month of April, the national month for autism awareness.

“April 3rd through 8th we are having our Philanthropy Week which we are super excited about! We are even getting the boys involved by having a “Xi Man” competition throughout the week, and the girls get to support their favorite contestants. This is all leading up to our 1st annual 5K on April 8th on West Campus to benefit Autism Speaks,” says Courville.  

Courville (right) with sister Danielle Shapins (left) at Autism Speaks’ national walk.

Related: To My Roommates Who Changed My Mind About Greek Life

The Iota Alpha chapter of Alpha Xi Delta also participates in “Light It Up Blue,” a national event that spreads awareness for autism by spreading the color blue worldwide.  On a global scale, national monuments are lit blue in the name of autism, and at Mason, the sisters decorate the Mason statue, hand out blue cupcakes and puzzle pieces, and table near campus hot spots to answer any questions the student body might have about how to get involved with Autism Speaks.  

While philanthropy was Courville’s largest draw to joining Alpha Xi Delta, she says that the sisterhood is like no other.

“After joining Alpha Xi Delta, I instantly felt at home and found some of my best friends in the chapter and the Greek community in general. Alpha Xi Delta also has helped me grow into becoming a confident leader and taught me valuable lessons for life after college.”

Courville says that the best thing about being president of such an amazing group of women is watching the chapter grow. “ I was previously a member of our last Executive Council, and over the past year I have seen our chapter make so much progress. I’m elated to be able to help our chapter grow even more over the next year as their president.”

Kellie (third from left) with Alpha Xi Delta’s  2015-2016 Executive Council.

Keep up with Kellie and the rest of Alpha Xi Delta on social media!

Instagram: @Alphaxidelta_GMU

Twitter: @GMUAlphaXiDelta

Facebook: Alpha Xi Delta-GMU

Holly Rhue

George Mason University

Holly was previously the Branded Content Editor at Her Campus Media, working on the national edit team to create engaging native editorial and social content for brands that HerCampus.com readers love! Her Beauty & Travel writing has been featured on Cosmopolitan.com, MarieClaire.com, and ELLE.com, where she was previously the digital publication's Editorial Fellow and Weekend Editor right out of college. Once upon a time, she led her own Her Campus chapter at George Mason University (go Patriots!).
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com