Inside Crumbs and Whiskers: A Cat Café in Georgetown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

With warm weather upon us, George Mason students are probably wondering where to spend weekend days off to unwind and explore. Well, George Mason students are lucky to be on a campus so close to Washington DC. However, with DC just a train ride away, it can be easy to overlook the marvels our nation’s capital has to offer.

With that being said, one great thing you and all your gal pals can venture off to do on an upcoming weekend is visit Georgetown’s cat café! 

Crumbs & Whiskers is a fairly new café, open on O Street in Georgetown. The idea behind the café is a fantastic one. They foster up to 20 cats at a time from the Washington Humane Society and give them a loving warm home, where people from all over can come to play with them for hours at a time!

Related: 5 Things You Need to Do in D.C. this Fall

Visitors are welcome to just come play with and pet the loving cats, or they can, and are encouraged to adopt some of the pretty kitties right from the shop. The system is healthy for the cats, because they are given lots of care and attention from the café workers and people like us who come to love on them- care and attention they would not be getting from the shelter.

While at the café, cat lovers can not only enjoy quality time with loving kitties, but can also enjoy coffee and other treats offered at the shop. It’s the best of both worlds!

Reservations to visit are encouraged for the full hour and fifteen minutes of kitty cuddles. The fee on weekends is $20 per (or purr) person, and $18 on weekdays. This may seem like a lot, but the café has got to support and care for all the foster cats somehow!

The location of the shop is in the heart of Georgetown, and the interior is charming and full of great photo opportunities. If you love cats, coffee, and time to unwind, this place is definitely worth a visit!

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev