How To Make It The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year: A Guide To The Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The holidays are coming up, and if you’re anything like me, you’ve been waiting for this day to come since you put up all your holiday decorations last year. So to help with an easy transition into the most wonderful time of the year, here are some tips to make it your best holiday season yet!

1. Have a fun gift exchange with your friends.

Buying gifts for all of your friends can be hard (and expensive). To keep within your college girl budget and avoid the stress of finding the perfect present for your ten best friends, throw a Christmas party instead. A party is a great way to celebrate with all of your friends without breaking the bank by playing games like Secret Santa and Yankee Swap to make it a memorable night. 

2. Bake ALL the things.

Christmas means baking, baking means cupcakes and cupcakes mean happiness. Take a receipe from your Pinterest board and finally make that recipe you’ve been dying to taste. 

3. Make a holiday-themed playlist

You mean you haven’t already danced around your room singing Mariah Carey? Well, making a Christmas playlist certainly helps build your holiday spirit or you can always let Pandora do the work for you and search “Mariah Carey Christmas,” it works just as well. 

4. Go on a tacky lights tour

If you’re not one to put up your own decorations, go and see other people who went above and beyond the call of holiday celebration. Inflatables, anyone?

5. Find the perfect party dress

Whether you’re hosting or attending, you need a fabulous dress to get you through the month of December- a time when there’s more sparkles, the better.

6. Break out that ugly Christmas sweater

Whether you’re making use of that horrible gift from grandma or indulging in your love of ironic outfits, it’s the only time to whip out that horrid looking sweater. 

7. Watch Frozen on repeat 

There’s a reason kids and adults alike are still fawning over the movie, if you haven’t already joined the bandwagon, now’s the perfect time. If you’re already an advid lover of Olaf, it’s a guilt free time to rewatch it. 

8. Eat as much Christmas candy that’s humanly possible

Chocolate Santa heads beware. 

9. Holiday drinks at Starbucks

Those red cups really do make all the difference.

10. Start a Pinterest page 

I know this sounds basic… and okay maybe it is…but you really don’t know the extent of the holidays until you’ve made your own holiday board. 

Alison Peterson

George Mason University

I like tv and vogue. I also like to stand on my head. Translation: I do a lot of yoga.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com