How to Land the Perfect Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s that time of year: the hunt for summer internships has begun! Now is the time to get ahead of the competition and showcase all of your talents to gain some valuable work experience.

Start searching early

The earlier you start searching, the better off you are. Many internships have applications due starting mid-March through late April. Start off by creating a list of potential companies and all of their due dates. It’s important to factor in time commitment, desired location, transportation, and if you’re looking for paid or unpaid.

Know where to look

When you’re looking for an internship, it’s important to find opportunities that will give you as much experience as possible. Ask friends and classmates in your degree program if they know about any reputable companies in the area hiring that they know of or worked for in the past. Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor if you can. They are professionals in their field for a reason and likely know of colleagues or friends in the field who could be hiring. They can also steer you in the right direction when looking for job experience that will benefit you post-graduation. Googling keywords and your desired location can lead you to local job postings. George Mason University has HireMason where you can find local internships, or partime/full time work.  Her Campus has their own job board with listings from nationally known brands.

Related:  A Collegiette’s Guide to Career Fairs

Re-vamp your resume

Take advantage of your school’s resources! Many offer free resume revisions if you drop them off in office or meet with someone one-on-one. This is also a great opportunity to get some editing done on your cover letter since this is one of the first things employers look at.

Show off your skills and hobbies

Employers now look for well-rounded candidates that can tackle anything with an interdisciplinary approach. Photography skills look great for marketing and communications jobs. Any background or certifications in web development can help you get your foot in the door for an IT job.

Know who you’ll ask for recommendations

Now is the time to become BFF’s with your professors and advisors. They serve as great references! If you need a letter of recommendation, give them as much notice as possible. They’re busy people, so try to leave about a month for them to write it. If they need to mail it directly or email it, be sure to give them clear instructions. Follow up with them about two weeks before the deadline to make sure they haven’t forgotten about it.

Internships are a necessity to compete in today’s job market. They can be challenging, but also fun and incredibly rewarding if you find the right fit. Happy internship hunting, collegiettes!

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats