This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s October again, and you know what’s in store! Collegiettes are preparing for one of the most highly anticipated holidays of the season, Halloween. The best way to kick off the holiday season is to decorate, decorate, and decorate! If you’re looking for ways to spruce up your room, check out these tips. By using your senses, your dorm or apartment will be transformed in no time.

Sight: Light Up the Room

For a visually appealing setting, put up lights! String lights are affordable and can be found anywhere. Switching the light bulbs in your room to different colors can make a difference too. Think purples, oranges, and greens. Candles are also a great way to change the ambiance in your room. If you’re confined to a dorm room, try flameless scented candles.

www.target.com

Smell: Autumn Fragrance  

With the leaves changing, the autumn air is full of new scents. To capture those delicious fall smells, fill the air with autumn goodness! Fall-inspired scents like pumpkin pie, hot apple cider, and falling leaves will make a difference. Candles create a relaxing mood, as well. Oil diffusers and room sprays are an alternative to candles.

www.bathandbodyworks.com

Taste: Halloween Goodies  

Don’t confine your Halloween décor to visuals. Display some yummy desserts around your space. Fill a fall-themed plate or bowl with Halloween treats. Also, fill mason jars with candy corn adds flair and a yummy treat to your décor. My absolute favorite Halloween treats I crave every year are “Pumpkin Delights” by Little Debbie. They’re shaped like pumpkins and cute to display.

http://spoonful.com/halloween/halloween-recipes

Touch: Halloween Décor

The best part about Halloween is buying or making décor to pin up to your walls, windows, or doors. Find deals at your local craft store around the first week of October. Some ideas of these ideas include…

www.joann.com

• Garland
  • Stickers
  • DIY paper cut-outs
  • Window clings
  • Print outs
  • Paper lanterns

Hear: Spooky Playlist

Your room is finally all Halloween-ed up! Now, all you need is some music in the background to finish off your product. Below are some songs you can use.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=OAS-US-DOMAINS-itunes.com

• Time Warp – The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • This Is Halloween – Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Ghostbusters – Ray Parker Jr.
  • Thriller – Michael Jackson
  • Monster Mash – Bobby “Boris” Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com