How To Deal With Noisy People In Your Hall During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

By: Mackenzie Nelson

When you’re living in a residence hall it can be impossible to avoid distractions. They’re always there (especially when you’re trying to work).  Whether people are running above you or just being unnecessarily loud, there are a few ways to help bring you peace and quiet when you’re cramming the night before the final.

1. Background noise

One of the ways to drown out their nonsense is with your own background noise. Anything is better than having to listen to them, right? So put in some headphones, blast some Beyonce and get those readings done.Via Giphy

2. Message in the hall group chat.

If the noise persists, the next best thing to do it send a general message in your hall group chat. Just mention how people are studying for finals and that we all need to keep the noise level down. It’s a polite way to tell people to keep it down without calling anyone out.Via Giphy

Related: Keeping Your Holiday Cheer Alive During Finals

3. Confront them.

Whether they’re running up and down the hall, slamming doors or just screaming, go talk to them. You’re trying to make the most out of your education and should not have to put up with their buffoonery. Just peek your head out of your room or into the the common room and say “Hey, can we keep it down?” THAT’S IT! THAT’S ALL YOU HAVE TO DO!Via Giphy

4. Talk to the RA.

You are not being a snitch and you aren’t ratting people out. Just mention it to your Resident Advisor so if they notice it too, they can say something to the other people on the floor. No big deal, right?Via Giphy

5. There is always the library.

There may just be people who never listen, nor care to and will keep on yelling and screaming as they please. Since nothing will get to them, we can always go to the library.Via Giphy

Happy finals, Collegiettes!Via Giphy

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com