Wellness > Health

How to Be Realistic About Picking a Gym Membership

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

By: Courtney Boone

Let’s be realistic here. Do you actually enjoy your workout? Probably not. If you’re constantly getting the creeps from the guys on the treadmill next to you or making up ridiculous excuses not to go, it’s time to rethink where you have your gym membership.

Be aware of fees

Via Giphy

If you’re ready to pull the “it’s you, not me” card with your current gym, make sure you check your contract for cancellation fees. Some gyms require you to give two weeks or more for notice if you intend to terminate your membership. Read the fine print and look up reviews of the gym to see if others have encountered problems when they tried to walk away.

Think about what you enjoy

Via Giphy

Avoid the fitness routine rut! Do you want to do the elliptical and cardio for an hour or focus on circuit training? Take a tour of a facility to see their equipment and how many machines they actually have. Just because they have a single rowing machine doesn’t mean you won’t have to fight for it at peak times. Step out of your comfort zone and research different workout opportunities at the gym. Try that kickboxing or pole dancing class and channel your inner badass. Who says a workout can’t be fun?

Solo or group?

Via Giphy

Need a gym buddy to keep you accountable… or 20? If group fitness is your thing, check and see if the gym plan you want includes classes or a trainer opportunity. Orangetheory Fitness requires you to be participating in a class to use the facility. If you enjoy the solace and peace of your workout routine by yourself, be aware of how busy the gym gets and how close the machines are pushed together.

Related: How I Came Around to Meal Prepping

What are your fitness goals?

Via Giphy

Are you looking to manage your weight or manage to walk across campus without getting winded? (LOL, me.) Be realistic in the beginning about what your current fitness levels are and what your ultimate goal is. Gyms can be intimidating and classes can be challenging, so do your research and ask if there are staff on site who can help teach you about the machines.

Gym environment

Via Giphy

Want something millennial or your traditional “get in, get fit, get out” gym? Take a near spiritual spin class at Soul Cycle with pumping EDM music and fun lighting. Orangetheory facilities are, yes, completely orange. Whatever your style is, pick somewhere that makes you feel motivated and in the zone.

What’s your schedule?

Via Giphy

If you’re a morning person, consider how early the gym opens. 24-hour facilities are out there and offer full service or reduced service during certain times of the day. Classes are generally held during the day and might be packed with limited slots during the evening rush.

Student benefits

Via Giphy

If you live on campus or attend classes, there’s a 99% chance your school is giving you access to a fitness facility (or multiple). Take advantage of it! You’re technically already paying for it through your tuition. You can even take a one credit class that will act as a nice grade buffer AND you can look bangin’ by the end of the semester.

Remember collegiettes, burpees suck…but the booty is ~worth it~.Via Giphy

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com