This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via Huffington Post

I’m a member of Greek life at George Mason University and I’m upset.

I have heard it all, the good, bad and ugly about “white Greek life.” From the moment I signed up for Panhellenic recruitment I’ve gotten mixed reactions. I’ve either been met with overjoyed embraces or a complete silent treatment. I understand why. I’ve known about the negative (and mostly incorrect) stereotypes of partying, bad grades and even worse–hookups…but racism felt so far away from what I envisioned Greek Life to be. I used to think that we weren’t southern enough to end up like so many cases that I had seen, I pointed my finger. Looking back, I have no idea how I allowed myself to think like this– throw together a group of college-aged, mostly white women, that are desperately searching for community, and privilege can run rampant. I tell myself, “I’m educated, I’m ‘woke,’ I shouldn’t be surprised right now.” But the truth is, I’m surprised because I’ve convinced myself of an idealized version of my community that doesn’t exist.

I scroll through Twitter and am met with campaigns like #AlphaPhiNot4Me and #AlphaPhiBigotry. I scroll through Facebook and see the Sigma Alpha Epsilon 2015 case being revisited in this current light. I even turn on the radio and can hear the most recent Alpha Phi George Washington University case being recounted. GW, our own backyard… I’ve tried to ignore it, but this boiling concoction of rage, sadness and confusion still lays underneath. I shouldn’t ignore it any longer, because that is just as harmful as the actions these organizations have committed.

I often find myself letting this turmoil of emotions taint my whole view of Greek life, but as I scroll through these same social media outlets that unearth the atrocities of my community, I also see all of the good my sisters are doing for the world. A pang of love accompanies when I see them and I know I would do anything for them or for my organization, a feeling that is honestly indescribable unless you’ve felt it. And I’m sure many sisters of Alpha Phi at GW felt/feel just the same about the women that posted such racist words. So, how is this reconciled?

Related: What To Do When You Don’t Like Your Sorority

Unfortunately, diversity isn’t something that most of our melanin-deficient founders thought of in the 1800s as the beginnings of most of our organizations were being created. But as society progresses, so should ideals. I guarantee you that each organization of Panhellenic and IFC could find principles in their ritual that encourage genuine behavior, tolerance, love and commitment to their college. All of the above values, that supposedly our organizations hold dearest to their heart, must be reflected upon in every action we take. The truth is that diversity should never be the main goal, it’s not about a head count in your chapter; genuine diversity and inclusion comes with a full heart, commitment to all of your members and accountability to yourself and your organization’s behavior.

So yes, I’m a member of Greek life at George Mason University and I’m upset– but I’m also a member that is committed to change. Without bridging the rifts that society has so determinedly created between us, then no true progress can be made. This is a call to action for, honestly, anyone in Greek life who will listen. These behaviors of our members reflect not only upon our individual organizations, but our community as a whole. These demonstrations are toxic and not the reality of many chapters within the Greek community; however, this truly doesn’t matter because this isn’t a blame game of pointing fingers and saying, “but we’re not like that.” If you truly are committed to not being “like that” then support those chapters and the people they have targeted by educating through love. Propel our community into progress by dispelling problematic thinking that is rooted in hateful tradition… because these types of ‘traditions’ aren’t productive and aren’t my community.

This response is to the Greek community as a whole and doesn’t intend to target any specific organizations on any specific campus.

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com