Global Inspiration: An Interview with the Global Brand President of MAC Cosmetics Karen Buglisi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The largest fan base through Twitter and Facebook, the $280 million dollars donated to the MAC AIDS Fund, back to the basics “word of mouth” advertising to 54 make-up collections a year, MAC is truly a brand to astonish all. Last Monday, I was given the opportunity to see MAC’s Global Brand President speak during the American Marketing Association’s Marketing Week. I did not know what to expect when I went to see Karen Buglisi speak. I wasn’t sure if I should expect someone of her statue to have her head in the clouds or be completely down-to-earth. Yet, I was completely blown away because the latter description is perfectly fitting for Ms. Buglisi. She was so eager to answer everyone’s question and was filled to the brim with advice thateveryone needs to succeed. She did not leave any stone untouched and connected with the audience and myself as to why MAC is such a global brand. A motivator, powerhouse, hard worker, leader and businesswoman are just a few things that can be attributed to Karen Buglisi, Global Brand President of MAC Cosmetics. Buglisi exclaimed during the presentation, “You may get her once, but the key is to get her back twice.” I can surely say that from the interview that I received from Karen Buglisi, her vision for MAC will get me back more than just twice.

HC George Mason: What is a typical day like in your position as Global Brand President of MAC
Cosmetics?

Karen Buglisi: Typical day? I do not think there is a “typical day” for me. In the last ten days I have traveled to Germany, England, France, then to here and after I will be off to Russia. I love what I do from traveling to going to the front lines and meeting the consumers. It all gives me much more stimulation, taking in the world and to be able to relate to the consumer.

HC George Mason: Where did you go to school and when you graduated where did you start?
Karen Buglisi: I never went to college, but it has not limited me in my career. I believe that everyday is a day to make a difference. Whatever you didn’t do today, do tomorrow. That and my motivation, envisioning success, drive and my mentor who believed in me have gotten me to where I am today. I started from the ground up, working in a department store, moving into the position as a counter manager, to buying, merchandising, and a combination of retail and wholesale.

HC George Mason: For someone entering into the industry where is the best place to start?
Karen Buglisi: There are so many places to start in MAC such as, the MAC artistry or Global Communications. There are so many avenues that you can go to, but you have to ask yourself, “What is it that I truly want to do?”

HC George Mason: What was your individual development plan during your 20’s? Did you think you would get this far today?
Karen Buglisi: I was just trying to survive my 20’s because I had a family by the time I was 25. However, my sights were always set on how I could do what I was doing, but doing it better than the people around me. It is not just that though, I focused on being a team player and then dedicating my time to lead the team. Following my own plan and thinking about how to do well “today” were my main focuses. I didn’t think about where I am today at MAC until about 5 years ago.

HC George Mason: What is one thing you know before you started and what is something you learned along the way?
Karen Buglisi: There is so much that I have learned that it is so hard for me to tell you everything! One thing that I would like to stress though is that you should always focus on what you are doing and to do it better. You
want to always offer the best that you can do so you can stand out in some way to succeed.

HC George Mason: What is your favorite part of working for MAC?
Karen Buglisi: My heart beats for MAC. I love seeing that thousands of people feel the same way I do about MAC. We are all passionate about this company. It’s a mobilizing force and a formidable family as well. I treasure the passion that I share among my MAC family members because we are all working to for this growing company.

HC George Mason: Lastly, what would you say is your favorite MAC product? Any recommendations?
Karen Buglisi: It’s clear that I love MAC, so my list may be long. I adore the Envy 2 fragrance, but that couldn’t be saved when it was discontinued. But, starting with the Smolder eyeliner, Zoom-lash mascara, #7 lashes, Moisture Lush Crème, to the bronzers, the Mineralized Powders and the Studio Sculpt Foundation are just a several of the many things I recommend.

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.