George Mason Opinions: The Mason Menu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Having lived on campus for two years now, I’ve eaten more than my fair share of Mason food. I’ve learned where the best burgers on campus are (Original Burger), where to go for the most meat on my sandwich (Gold Rush), and what places to completely avoid (La Vincita). Fortunately, there’s lots of options, so you’re bound to find somewhere that satisfies any of your cravings.

When it comes to Mason food, I always favor quality over quantity. We’ve all eaten too much at Southside before, and it doesn’t exactly leave the best feeling in our bellies. To prevent what my friends and I like to call “Southside’s Revenge,” my advice is to stick to the stations where you can create your own dish, such as the salad bar or the gluten free station. This way, you’re getting exactly what you want, and you won’t have to go through that awkward trial and error process where you end up carrying a small mountain of plates to the dirty dish conveyor belt.

One of the biggest complaints students have about Mason dining is the lack of seating at all the venues. I know I can’t be the only one who’s had to awkwardly stand next to a table, hoping that the occupants are almost finished with their meal. One of Mason’s worst offenders of this is the JC. If you plan on eating here between 10:00am and 5:00pm, expect large crowds, long lines, and minimal seating. The JC is one of the most convenient places to eat on campus, because of its central location, but some additional tables would be much appreciated by us Patriots.

Southside is also a culprit of being too crowded during meal times. It can get pretty frustrating having to bob and weave throughout the tables, trying to grab one large enough for all of your friends. On top of the limited number of tables, the cozy atmosphere keeps people at the tables longer, slowing down the table turnover rate. There’s not much a hungry girl can do to change this, just have patience, and be quick to slip in as people are getting up.

Seating complaints aside, I genuinely like the food here. It’s all about knowing where to go. I’ve found that the dining venues off the beaten track often have the best food. A hidden gem on campus is the Bistro on the ground floor of the JC. For a meal swipe and some change, you get a small variety of home-style food, and it’s all delicious. Another favorite spot of mine is Original Burger, in SUB II. It’s classic burgers and fries make for a tasty treat if you’re willing to venture outside of your regular dining spots.

Overall, Mason offers a variety of decent dining options, but it’s important to know where to go in order to save those precious meal swipes. If none of the dining spots I have mentioned tickle your fancy, remember there are several chain fast food restaurants on campus, such as Chick-Fil-A and the newly opened Subway. When in doubt, stick with an ole’ faithful. 

Jordan Fontenot

George Mason University

Jordan Fontenot is a senior at George Mason University and is a Communication major with a concentration in Public Relations and a double minor in Business and Tourism and Events Management. When she's not busy with school, working at a local boutique, or writing for Her Campus, she loves to work out at the campus gyms or go shopping with her friends. Jordan is obsessed with Harry Potter, chai tea lattes, and New Girl.
Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.