George Mason Bucket List: A College Girl’s Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The time you spend in college seems to go by way faster than high school ever did. High school may have been great from some people, but for most there is no other time in your life like college. Never again will you be around hundreds or thousands of people all around the same age sharing similar experiences. College is like your own bubble, keeping you safe from the harshness of the real world for four more years. So, before you walk across the stage at the Patriot Center and enter the real world, here are the top 10 things that every Mason college girl should try to accomplish.

10. Go to Mason’s homecoming. It may not be for a football game, but it is still a lot of fun. Plus, it is the one time of year when Mason actually has tailgates.  

9. Walk through the Student Apartments and have a stare off with a raccoon. If you are anywhere near STAPs it is bound to happen.

8. Go for a run around Patriot Circle. Mason is deceptively large and once you are halfway through your run, you are probably going to start questioning all life decisions. However, you will get to see all of the infamous GMU squirrels and construction sites while getting in a good workout.

7. Meet the man with the Pomeranian puppy. With his motorized wheelchair and adorable puppy he is hard to miss. To take it to an even better level, take a picture of him and his puppy to remember the precious memory forever. Pretty much everyone I know has done it. 

6. Eat at pilot house. It sounds silly, but it is a life changer. There is a reason we petitioned for it to come back and that is because it is amazing. No matter what time of day it is, I will forever be craving mac and cheese wedges. Also, make sure to say “hi” to Robert who works there. It is very possible that he is the nicest person to ever live.

5. Wander through downtown Fairfax. For this one, make sure you are not in a car, because the traffic will drive you insane and you will wonder why you ever went in the first place. Downtown is only a short walk away and there is always a little festival or event going on.

4. Go on a road trip. Grab a friend, fill up your gas tank and go somewhere you have always wanted to go. On the East Coast there are always places to go that are only a short drive away. Some of my favorite memories so far in college have been on road trips not even knowing where I am going.

3. Go to a Mason sporting event. Our school has not always known to have the best school spirit, but that can always be turned around by simply going out to more events. Any type of sporting event is fun and at Mason we happen to have some of the best teams around. So go out and support your fellow Patriots. As a bonus, there are usually free items being passed out and who does not love free tee shirts or anything free for that matter?

2. Explore DC. George Mason is just a metro ride away from the nations Capitol, that is not something to just overlook. If you are not from around here, go and be a tourist for the day. Go look at the museums, ride in one of the silly segway tours, eat from a street vendor-do everything and anything.

1. Be involved. Find something on campus to be involved in that you are passionate about. May it be a club, a sorority, or a sports team, do something that you are proud to identify with. Not only may it bring new opportunities that could define your future, but it will allow friendships to grow that will last a lifetime. Some of my closest friends are people I have met through joining a sorority.

Alexandra Connole

George Mason University

Chi Omega Fraternity member and Chipotle lover. 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com