India Tolliver: Gaining Confidence Through Dance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Imagine doing something you love and all of a sudden it’s taken away from you. Freshman business major India Tolliver knows what that moment feels like. Born and raised in Richmond, Virginia, India began dancing at the age of three at Richmond Christian Preparatory Academy. Since then India has been in a number of recitals, programs, and showcases at school and in church. She even has experience in a variety dance genres from ballet to African tradition. India is currently a model and dancer here at Mason with the Rated R dance and model troupe.

During her freshman year of high school, India joined her school’s marching band as a dancer. The night of their first game, India was dancing with her teammates and severely dislocated her knee. What turned out to be what most people thought would be the end of her dance career, turned out be just the beginning.

What emotions went through your mind when you dislocated your knee?

I was more so disappointed than discouraged. It was my first time dancing in the stands and then all of a sudden my knee popped out of place. I had to sit out for the rest of the season and watch my friends dance from the sidelines. I knew then I had to get back on my A game so I could return next season which I did end up doing by going to physical therapy faithfully and attending dance practice even though I could not dance.

Why did you continue to keep dancing?

I just couldn’t see myself giving it up. I’ve been doing it since I was three, and I thought why let this injury stop me now. Even here at Mason, I’m a business major and even though that has nothing to do with dance, I have still found a way to incorporate it in my major and extra- curricular activities.  For example, as an arts elective I take a dance class to help strengthen my skills and add some fun to my schedule. Who knows, maybe I will minor in dance next semester just to continue the experience.

How has dance helped you embrace your self-confidence as a young woman?

[Dance] has served as an outlet for me to express myself. I’ve been told that I appear to have a sassy attitude when I dance which is true because I know I do it well. Even after the injury, I still had that same attitude and persona to let everyone know that I am still that same old India that can dance her butt off.

Do you think that being a part of Rated R here at Mason will help you further embrace your confidence?

Absolutely! I dance with a group of people who have the same mindset as me;  people who know exactly what they are doing. When we are all together that energy is even greater. In high school, some of the girls on my team were shy and didn’t have that confidence boost to perform in front of a big crowd because they were afraid of what people had to say. For me that was the least of my worries, and I find that the same with the people on my Rated R team.

Why do you think it’s important for young women to have strong self-confidence in themselves despite their downfalls?

IT: I feel like as a woman you should strut your confidence in order for people to take you seriously. It doesn’t matter what flaws you have or what obstacles you may face, you just have to get back up with your head raised up high. For me, my injury was my motivation to be better, and that’s what I think can help women become more confident – taking that downfall and making it something greater to show off to everyone that doubts you.

India looks forward to dancing and modeling with Rated R while she here and meeting new people who share the same motivated attitude as her. One thing she did include after the interview as over was that she hopes to help empower young girls through dance in the future to help them boost their confidence.

Look out for India and the rest of Rated R team on campus as they take on the AID/HIV Awareness Fashion Show December 5th.

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com