Eric Terry: Keeping the Music Within Alive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Freshman Eric Terry is among the many Mason students who came to campus in August with a number of hidden talents.

Eric was born in Germany, and later moved to Kansas when he was two. At the age of four, Eric moved to Woodbridge, Virginia, and has stayed here ever since. Eric developed his love for music in the third grade when he began taking music classes. He now plays seven instruments, was a captain of his high school’s marching band, and writes his own music. He is also involved on campus in three intramural sports including soccer, basketball, and football while currently majoring in biology (pre-med), with a minor in business.

What made you want to make your own music?

ET: I wanted to be able to share the ideas that went on in my head which I created and listened to knowing that it was my own creation.

How many songs have you wrote?

ET: I’ve written too many songs to count. I usually start off writing poems and then transform it to music. I have so many finished and unfinished products I really can’t give you a number.

How would you describe your style of music?

ET: I don’t have a specific style. I make all types of music from rap to blues, but if I had to put a style on it, it would be alternative.

What instruments do you actually play?

ET: I play soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone saxophone, guitar, a small amount of piano, and the drums.

Who has influenced you the most as an artist?

ET: Probably Childish Gambino. He has a versatility across styles that influence my alternative taste.

Where do you see yourself with music in the future?

ET: I see myself being a music analytic and making music for pleasure in the future. I’ve never really wanted to let music be my main thing, but it is too big of a part of me to let go. I want to be a dentist and open my own private practice ultimately.

If you could work with any artist, who would it be and why?

ET: It would be Childish Gambino because he is my biggest role model and there is no limitation to the style of music we could make because of how many different styles music he makes.

Eric looks forward to creating more projects in the future and expanding his music collection. No matter where he goes in life, he knows his love for music will still be alive.

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com