Easy Halloween Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

For this year’s Halloween, leave the scaring off to your decorations and costumes – not your food. With these easy recipes, any busy Her Campus gal can play the part of awesome baker without the costume!

Phyllo Wrapped Hot Dog Mummies
These mini mummies are great finger foods for your Halloween party. Cut up hot dogs wrapped in crispy phyllo dough will satisfy any hungry, growling stomach!
What you’ll need:
One 16-ounce package bun-size hot dogs (8 hot dogs), halved
2 ounces Cheddar, cut into 16 thin slices
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 sheets phyllo dough
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Ketchup, mustard or any of your favorite dipping sauces

Preheat oven to 400º. Cut a slit in each hot dog piece and stuff with a slice of cheese. Combine salt, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Lightly brush phyllo sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with spice mix; fold lengthwise. Brush the top with more melted butter and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Using 2 pieces of stuffed hot dogs per phyllo sheet, wrap half of the strips around each piece of hot dog to create a mummy look. Leave a small section of hot dog exposed at top for the face. Place mummies on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the phyllo is crisp and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve alongside dipping sauces.

Makes 8 servings

Candy Corn Marshmallow Treats
Get the most out of these seasonal little candies and turn them into crispy treats for you and your friends to enjoy!
What you’ll need:

¼ cup butter
6 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
12 drops yellow food coloring
4 drops red food coloring
6 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups candy corn

Microwave butter in large microwaveable bowl on high until melted. Add marshmallows. Toss to coat. Microwave 1-1/2 min. or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring in food colorings after 45 sec. Add cereal and candy corn and mix. Press onto bottom of 13×9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cool before cutting diagonally. Enjoy!
Makes 24 servings

Dirt and Worm Cupcakes

These days, no party is complete without a fresh batch of cupcakes and these creepy, crawly cupcakes are sure to satisfy!
What you’ll need:

24 white cupcakes
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Orange Flavor Gelatin
2 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
48 gummy worms
2 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 Tbsp.)

Place cupcakes in muffin pan cups. Use large fork to pierce holes at 1/4-inch intervals in tops of cupcakes. Add boiling water to gelatin mix; stir until completely dissolved. Drizzle over cupcakes with small spoon. Refrigerate 3 hours or until gelatin is firm. When ready to serve, dip bottom of muffin pan in warm water for 10 sec. Unmold onto serving plate. Frost with Cool Whip and garnish with remaining ingredients
Makes 24 servings

Witch’s Finger Cookies

Give your cookies a manicure just in time for Halloween with these delicious witch’s finger cookies!

What you’ll need:

1-1/4 cups PLANTERS Sliced Almonds, divided
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
¼ tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups flour

Heat oven to 325ºF. Keep 40 nuts for later use. Process remaining nuts in food processor until finely ground. Beat next 5 ingredients in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in ground nuts. (Dough will be stiff.) ROLL dough into 40 (3-inch) “fingers,” using 1 Tbsp. dough for each. Place, 2 inches apart, on baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray. Press 1 reserved nut into end of each dough finger for the fingernail. Use sharp knife to make 3 crosswise slits in top of each finger for the knuckles. BAKE until lightly browned. Cool 3 min. on baking sheet; carefully transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
Makes 20 servings

Ghastly Meringues

These adorable white ghosts are both tasty and easy to make!

What you’ll need:

3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 200º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until frothy. Beat in the sugar; increase the mixer speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe 8 to 10 swirls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until dry, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and let cool completely. Put the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on 50 percent power until melted, about 1 minute, stirring halfway. Transfer the melted chocolate to a zip-top bag and snip a corner. Pipe the chocolate on the meringues to look like eyes.
Makes 8-10 servings

With these deliciously spooky goodies, you can throw a great party without the fear of having unsatisfied appetites! Happy Halloween, girls!

All recipes taken from Food Network and Kraft Foods, Inc.

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.