This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

To all of our seasonal beverage lovers: this one is for you. I’m very happy to introduce our DIY Seasonal Drink series! You now have the creative ability to make your favorite drinks from home. Future pieces will be similar to this one: easy, fun, and crafty. Without further wait, here is the first DIY Seasonal Drink: the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte!

Yes. I get the craze, believe me. A few days ago, I went to the mall and ordered my Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte from none other than Starbucks and it was good. Really good. However, I would like to point out that I got this drink, in the smallest size nonetheless, for upwards of $5. This, of course, can add up quickly, especially for a college student. Now I know that fall-time drinks are a favorite to many and get us into the seasonal mood. So, I decided to DIY a Pumpkin Spice Latte, and it turned out delicious! Keep reading to find out the easy and affordable way that I made my drink in the comfort of my own home.

Brew Coffee (obvious, but important)

Of course, the base of a latte is a good coffee. Like many other college students on the go, I am in love with my Keurig and always have k-cups in my cabinet. So, what k-cup should you use? Luckily, they come in a variety of roasts ranging from light to dark. Personally, I enjoy a middle of the spectrum flavored coffee so I go for a medium roast. Brewing the coffee is super easy and you can brew it into a mug if you would like it hot or into a cup with ice already at the bottom to make it cold.

If you really want to go above and beyond, make your own coffee ice cubes beforehand if you don’t want the flavor to get watered down.

Add Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup

After brewing your coffee, it’ll be time to stir in the pumpkin spice coffee syrup. So, where exactly can you find coffee syrups? Turns out, they’re readily available in lots of well-known favorites like Target and Walmart. What’s great about buying your own coffee syrups is that you can make your coffee customizable to your personal taste. Add a little in, then add some more if you want a stronger flavor. The amount is up to you! Personally, I use roughly a teaspoon or measure to taste. Here are some great options to try out:

Target’s Good & Gather Naturally Flavored Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup (12.7 oz, $3.49)

Walmart’s Jordan’s Skinny Syrups Sugar-Free Pumpkin Caramel Syrup (750 ml/25.4 oz, $35.53)

Add Milk, Creamer, or Whipped Cream

Now, its time for the fun part! There are three options that you could try for topping your coffee off, milk, creamer, or whipped cream. I love using my French press to foam up the creamer! Once I’ve made the creamer a thicker, cloudy consistency, I then pour it over my coffee, and it creates another layer on top. If you want to get creative and have fancier coffee machinery, you could try latte art which is super cool and would give you some amazing photo opportunities. The sweeter and easier second option is simply topping off your latte with whipped cream.  Be sure to go in a spiral motion while using the whipped cream to get a really cool look, I also find this fun to do even though it’s super simple, it elevates the look a lot. Lastly, the third option is making an authentic latte with about 4-6 oz of steamed milk. Heat up a milk of your choice in the microwave and whisk until foamy to add on top of your coffee!

Spice it Up!

It’s time to add final touches to your coffee! A blend of fall spices will definitely make your coffee look and taste fantastic. Not sure what spices to use? Let’s start off with the staple classics that we all know and love: cinnamon and nutmeg. These two spices in particular are extremely popular and scream fall! Conveniently, they are also found in most households as well. But maybe you want to try some new fall spices out in addition to the classics. In that case, try spices like cardamom, allspice, and pumpkin pie spice. These spices are familiar to traditional fall spices and will add even more flavor to your drink.

Try out this coffee and tag us on Instagram @hcatlum, we can’t wait to see your creations!

P.S. Remember to stay tuned for our next DIY Seasonal Drink recipe!

Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.